24/192 files breaking up [resolved]

I just played 24/192 files 100 feet from wirelessly using my Auralic Aries and lightning server and the files played perfectly .
Roon connected via Ethernet 2 feet from the router can’t play 24/192 but can play 24/96 .

Two comments: 1) when I had issues with wireless, they were not constant, they seemed to vary with wireless usage in the neighborhood (time of day/day of week). 2) there’s another Roon/microRendu interaction that has been discussed here and on Sonore’s forums in CA, regarding jumbo IP frames. I’ve not had this problem myself, but it appears that streaming can go wrong when something is using those larger IP frames: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/endpoints-work-via-airplay-but-not-raat-solved-jumbo-frames-were-enabled/15681/14

All of a sudden my 24/196 files ,which played fine , are not playing .They break up. They are all flac files.

24/96 files on my mac play fine.

The only thing I have done recently is a mac software update.

I can play these very same files through Auralic lightning server fine(not using Roon) and through Linux sonictransporter software(using Roon) fine
but I cannot through the Mac Roon core.

Thus the files don’t seem to be corrupt as I can play them wired or wirelessly through other methods but not through my mac now.

Ok so I deleted the 24/192 flac Miles Davis Kind of Blue on my mac and used a hard drive attached to my sonictransporter(a completely different hard drive) to copy the same 24/196 Kind of Blue album to my mac.

The mac roon software still stutters and won’t play but it always did before.

Clearly something with the Apple software update has made 24/192 files not play properly using Roon.

Ok I play the 24/192 files on my mac just fine through Audirvana so I know the 24/192 files are not corrupt.

They are not playing through Roon properly anymore.

Tried to play a flac 24/192 file through Apple core on my mac. It still broke up and could not play even though my mac was downsampling because it obviously cannot play 24/192 natively.

So all of my 24/192 files cannot be played through Roon Mac but can be played through Audirvana ,Sonictransporter(using Roon) and Auralic’s lightning server.

Hi @Jim_Honsberger ----- Thank you for the feedback, sorry for the troubles here. To help me evaluate this behavior you are experiencing, may I very kindly ask you to please provide me the details of your setup as seen here.

I would like to get a better sense of what devices are being used for what and where they are located in the chain of communication.

-Eric

Mac Sierra -latest update
Roon mac software
Sonore micro rendu
Kef ls50 wireless( it is wired ) not using it wirelessly
Oyen Digital SSD external drive.

Moved 24/192 files from another hard drive and still the same problem with mac. I can play through Linux(Sonictransporter) and Roon through other speakers , through Auralic Lightning server and Audirvana through the mac speakers with no issues.

This has just recently happened as I have been able to play these files with no issue.

just used squeezelite on the microrendu and it plays 24/192 files fine through kef ls50 wireless speakers

Hi @Jim_Honsberger ----- Thank you for verifying the information for me and sharing the result of your testing with squeezelite engaged on the MR.

Based on your feedback, if I am understanding this correctly, you have a Oyen Digital SSD external drive mounted to the Mac device hosting your core, where Roon is pulling content from. Have you tried playing 24/192 content back from local storage? If so, did you see the same results?

-Eric

I copied a Miles Davis 24/192 album from the oyen external drive to the computer.

I added that path to Roon . Still the same problem , it will not play but Audirvana will play these files with no breakup so it is related to the mac Roon core software.

Hi @Jim_Honsberger ---- Thank you for the follow up and giving the proposed test a shot. Please due correct me if I am wrong, but this end point (MR- > Kef Ls50s) is the only zone you are having this break up with OR is it any zone when the MAC is acting as your Roon core?

Furthermore, I understand that you are using the USB interface with the Kef Ls50s have you tried any of the other inputs on that device during your troubleshooting?

-Eric

Correct . Yet this has never happened before .
I just used a Sonictransporter(different hard drive ) using Roon and MR to the kef ls50’s and no issues . I have used Mac core to a audio system in another room and it played fine . I copied a file from the the external drive connected to my Mac (24/196 ) to the local Mac and played through the Mac speakers using Audirvana and it played fine . I restarted the MR and it still is a problem
I also tried different cables .
It appears to me to be a Roon Mac software issue otherwise why would the MR play fine using the Sonictransporter?
Both the Sonictransporter and the Mac are on the same Ethernet switch , brand new switch .

Jim Honsberger
Sent: Wednesday, April 5, 2017 6:03:00 PM
To: jimhonsberger@hotmail.com
Subject: [Roon Labs Community] [Support] 24/192 files breaking up

Eric Eric Eric Stewart Roon Labs: Support
April 5
Hi @Jim_Honsberger ---- Thank you for the follow up and giving the proposed test a shot. Please due correct me if I am wrong, but this end point (MR- > Kef Ls50s) is the only zone you are having this break up with OR is it any zone when the MAC is acting as your Roon core?

Furthermore, I understand that you are using the USB interface with the Kef Ls50s have you tried any of the other inputs on that device during your troubleshooting?

-Eric

Visit Topic to respond.

In Reply To

Jim_Honsberger Jim_Honsberger Jimmytwotimes
April 4
I copied a Miles Davis 24/192 album from the oyen external drive to the computer. I added that path to Roon . Still the same problem , it will not play but Audirvana will play these files with no breakup so it is related to the mac Roon core software.
Visit Topic to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

So i tried to upsample a 24/96 file to 24/192 and nothing but breaking up.

24/96 files play fine.

I know I have tried this feature before with no issues. I think the last apple mac software update has done something
here. .

@Jim_Honsberger ----- Thank you for touching base, to verify that information for me and share your observations from testing. Both are appreciated!

I know you made mention in your post about utilizing of a brand new switch in your setup. Can you verify the make and model of this device for me?

-Eric

I might be able to give help here.
I so far have not installed the latest Mac OS Update.
I upsampled a 24/96 file to 192 and had no problems.

I sent you a free download to a 24/96 file.,@Jim_Honsberger, so that we play the same file and see if you have problems with it, as it works fine for me.

I swapped in the old ethernet switch and 24/192 plays fine. It is weird because my sonic transporter and mac were connected to the same switch and the sonictransporter played fine. Not a cable issue either.

Te Netgear managed switch must be doing something here.

This issue is resolved.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to test that and let us know @Jim_Honsberger.

Could you let us know the model of that switch?

Netgear Nighthawk S8000 . It’s a brand new Ethernet switch but it could not play 24/192 files

1 Like