Build 262, desparate need to revert to prior build [Resolved]

Since I installed this yesterday (Win 7 pro 64 bit), It is intermittently losing its audio device connection (USB to Lynx HILO, ASIO drivers). Only restarting Windows will get it back. There may be some interaction issues with Webroots Secure Anywhere, but the issue with losing the USB audio device configured for Roon started only with this upgrade. Other products (Vinyl Studio), which access the same device using the same drivers continue to work fine while Roon sits there and says there is not audio device present. Nothing has changed in my system in the last several months until this latest Roon update. The prior release was stable, although it had some issues which I have not gotten arround to sending you and that I now will need to recheck for the new release (most are issues with Roon remote operation, not with the core itself). PLEASE help me get back to the prior release so I can use my music, I cannot be rebooting Windows several times a day just to get Roon to work.

Hi @Alfred_Linthicum ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, sorry to hear of the troubles.

Moving forward, I can assure you that no changes were made to the section of our code that would be having influence on this behavior, as you can see in our release notes. Furthermore, as a general rule we do not down grade to previous builds as this action could have adverse affects on the current databases ability to communicate with our cloud service. So with this in mind, I would like to very kindly ask you to please try the following (in this order):

• Please completely disable “Webroots Secure” (temporarily) and see if this action triggers a change in behavior. I would also confirm that there are no active firewalls in place and if there are, I would recommend (temporarily) disabling those as well.

• Please visit our website and reinstall the application right on top of already installed version of the application without changing anything. Before performing this exercise, I would make a back up of the current DB for good measure.

-Eric

I assume if I install on top of what is there, all my setting (hardware setup, etc.) are preserved? I really hate having to go figure out the entire product setup again from scratch. I’ll also try and see if I can identify exactly when the USB/audio is going away - it just show up when I start Roon - it has NOT dropped while Roon core is running. I have some new Errors in the Windows event logs but at this point I cannot tie them timewise or app wise to this issue (WMI Event filter with query “SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA “Win32_Processor” AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99” could not be reactivated in namespace “//./root/CIMV2” because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.) errors that have not occured in the logs prior to 9//6/17. May be related, may not be. There is definitely an issue with Webroot trying to block your app and Vinyl Studio from accessing the web - which I have documented to Webroot and they are working on. Once I OK an app for access to Webroot it should be noted and never asked about again-this is not happening. I have a Sonicwall hardware firewall, etc. in my configuration that has been stable for years and that I am not going to touch (this is my home, not business) and I cannot see how anything on my firewall is going to effect only Roon’s access to this USB port (although anything is possible), Like I said, all this has been running flawlessly until I did this Roon upgrade, I have not changed anything on my system and I long ago (5yrs or so) completely disabled all Windows Updates once I had the base WIN7 SP1 install stable - this way it stays stable-))

Hi @Alfred_Linthicum ---- Thank you for touching base.

"I assume if I install on top of what is there, all my setting (hardware setup, etc.) are preserved? I really hate having to go figure out the entire product setup again from scratch. "

• Reinstalling the application on top of the already installed version should have no adverse affects on your current settings etc. BUT I would still recommend creating a backup of your DB first, just in case something does go wrong you’ll have a fall back.

“There is definitely an issue with Webroot trying to block your app and Vinyl Studio from accessing the web - which I have documented to Webroot and they are working on. Once I OK an app for access to Webroot it should be noted and never asked about again-this is not happening.”

• If you are aware that there are some issues with Webroot, I would start troubleshooting here first. Have you tried disabling yet? This test seems like it would be an easy starting point.

-Eric

Will do the reinstall first - was going to leave Webroot running and see it problem reoccured and see if I can pinpoint any additional info that would help whoever is causing the issue to fix it. I always hate to disable my primary security SW for anything but a brief time since the Webroot and McAfee Virusscan have keep me infection free for over a decade (along with using strong common sense about what I access and who has access to my network). I’ll do it if necessary to resolve the issue. I’d like to be able to CAUSE the issue to occur so I have a clear cut yes/no on what is the issue, I cannot do that yet (which is why I am leaving Webroot running for right now). I’ll follow your advice and keep you posted. Thanks

Problem apparently solved by uninstalling and reinstalling Webroot without restoring prior setting and re-installing Roon. No issued since then (over a week). If it happens again, I’ll do the above one at a time instead of together and pinpoint which is the problem. Once Webroot was done as above, the problem with Roon not finding my USB audio devices went away as did Webroot continuing to ask me if I wanted to block Roon and my other audio app (Vinyl Studio) from internet access. Thanks for all the assistance. I am going to post in a separate post my other issues with Roon and the Roon remote that I have been documenting for a while.

1 Like