Crashing on mac quite regular; once per day

I found this in the console (system.log) on the mac:

Feb 8 11:46:17 Andrews-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.roon.Roon.8744[91301]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

The app will disappear from the dock. Relaunching opens the app again, no problem.

@support I noted you asked for this is another post:

% /Applications/Roon.app/Contents/MacOS/Roon -colorconsole

00:00:00.000 Debug: Attempting to load library: /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Foundation
00:00:00.015 Info:  Library[/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Foundation] Loaded success => True
00:00:00.015 Debug: Attempting to load library: /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/AppKit
00:00:00.064 Info:  Library[/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/AppKit] Loaded success => True
00:00:02.400 Debug: Attempting to load framework: /System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework
00:00:02.404 Info:  Framework[/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework] Loaded success => True
00:00:02.405 Debug: Attempting to load framework: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
00:00:02.409 Info:  Framework[/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework] Loaded success => True
00:00:02.409 Debug: Attempting to load library: libHIDRemoteNative.dylib
00:00:02.410 Info:  Library[libHIDRemoteNative.dylib] Loaded success => True
00:00:02.410 Debug: Attempting to load library: libSPMediaKeyTapNative.dylib
00:00:02.411 Info:  Library[libSPMediaKeyTapNative.dylib] Loaded success => True
00:00:00.002 Info:  Starting Roon v1.3 (build 196) stable on macosx
00:00:00.008 Trace: Checking if we are already running
00:00:04.958 Error: Already running. Exiting.

This is what Roon logs report just before the crash @ Feb 8 11:46:17:

02/08 11:45:34 Info: [stats] 5110mb Virtual, 967mb Physical, 777mb Managed, 55 Threads,  FDs 
02/08 11:45:49 Info: [stats] 5108mb Virtual, 967mb Physical, 777mb Managed, 54 Threads,  FDs 
02/08 11:46:04 Info: [stats] 5123mb Virtual, 982mb Physical, 791mb Managed, 54 Threads,  FDs 
02/08 11:46:16 Info: [brokerserver] Client connected: REMOVEBYMEBUTNOTNEEDED?
02/08 11:46:16 Trace: [SOOD] Adding User IP REMOVEBYMEDBUTNOTNEED?
02/08 11:46:16 Trace: [raat] [sood] Refreshing device list

I am running build 1.3 (build 196) stable (64bit); music is stored on a Drobo 5D. Wasn’t doing anything with roon at the time (no music, no browsing, nothing).

Hi @Afullmark ----- Thank you for the report. I see from your feedback you have started to give us some details of your current setup ( 1.3 (build 196) stable (64bit); music is stored on a Drobo 5D) :+1:

To help aide in our evaluation of this behavior you are experiencing may I kindly ask you to please expand on this description as seen here.

-Eric

Sure:

• MacOS Sierra 10.12.3
  • iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012); 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7; 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3; hybrid drive: 120GB SSD, 899 HDD.
  • Drobo 5D connected via thunderbolt to the iMac
  • 57707 track, 3027 albums
  • outputs: bluesound pulse mini x2, node2 and powernode2
  • iMac set to ‘built-in output’ and ‘exclusive’ mode
  • router is a TP-LINK Archer C8 AC1750

Hi @Afullmark ----- I would like to grab some logs from you so our developers can have a closer look at what may be going on here. I will be contacting you via PM shortly with instructions, thanks!

-Eric

Of course I will. The issue has not repeated since the crash @ Feb 8 11:46:17; If it does then I will send the logs. I do have the support logs from the crash @ Feb 8 11:46:17 if you want those?

1 Like

Woke up to find Roon had crashed; no longer open. I’m going to send you these logs.

1 Like

Hi @Afullmark – Got them, thanks!

-Eric

Hope you’re having a nice weekend @Eric, It crashed again, but this time (new behaviour) the app restarted itself: 18/2 @ 12:28. As before I have sent the logs using the provided support code.

Update, this one might have been a false alarm; my partner said he was promoted to update roon (remote) on his MacBook, so if might have been normal behaviour for the server to restart itself if a remote updates itself? Seems unusually that it should.

1 Like

Hi @Afullmark — Thank you, and I hope you had a nice weekend as well! Just wanted to give you the heads up that when an update is available it is taken by any active Roon devices.

So for example, if I am listening to Roon on my phone with earbuds in while cleaning my house and I notice the update icon appear on my screen and hit it, the update will be attributed to not only the remote but also to the device that is hosting my Roon core or server.

-Eric

@Eric I had another proper crash today (Sun 26/02/17) @ around 4:33; i sent the logs as usual using the unique code that you gave me.

Well, I tried sending logs via the roon app but it reported I was not connected to the net (but I am) so i just left a link to dropbox in the private message.

1 Like

@Eric @support As well as the crash on the 26th, I had another today: 02/28 03:27:54. I sent logs via the roon app using the code you provided.

1 Like

I just posted on another thread, it looks like I am having the same issue. My Mac is closing the app every couple of days, no error messages , just the app is no longer open. My setup is the same, latest update Roon, same os and my files on are the local hard dive. Hope they get a fix for this.

@Eric @support As @Tim_Clardy also noted, there is no crash report generated; ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ has always been quite empty whenever i look after i noticed Roon has crashed.
There is only one mention of ‘roon’ and that is is system.log:

Feb 28 03:27:54 Andrews-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.roon.Roon.9392[45303]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

At the time of that crash Roon was not being used. I keep my iMac on 24/7 and only the screen goes to sleep.

'Tis a bit of a mystery. @Tim_Clardy perhaps submit your logs also; I’m sure @Eric can help with that.

I posted in another thread, we will see if they respond and what they ask for.

Did you ever make any progress here? Has it crashed since the last update?

No, no crash yet since Roon 1.3 (Build 208); they gave me two options to move forward with:

@Eric Before I implement your suggestions (fresh install etc), I wanted to run some investigations. Roon runs for many, many days now without silent crash (it does still crash) but I have noticed that RAM gets high; could this be a cause?

I’ve 8GB of physical RAM, 3034 albums and 58K tracks. Cache at default 256MB. Here is what RAM is running at. Is this normal at idle?:

14/03/2017 @ , 09:20 (idle, roon not playing music, scanning etc)

14/03/2017 @ 13:55 (idle, roon not playing music, scanning etc)

Mine is still closing itself out every four or five days. I sent in a support package but never received a response. Mine closes itself out on the core machine when it is doing nothing, not playing anything. Just every few days I try to play something on the remote and it cannot connect. I check the Core machine and sure enough Roon is not open anymore. This never happened until the 1.3 upgrade.

Hi @Afullmark ---- Thank you for the follow up and sharing this observation with me. This does seem normal to me as when I perform any testing my MBP I am seeing similar numbers when in an idle state.

-Eric