Issues running Roon off of remote devices

Hi @Jeffrey_Robbins ----- Thank you for following up and taking the time to answer my questions. The first thing that immediately jumps out at me in your network description is this:

“I use a series of repeaters to get the signal to the main and second levels of the home. Those are separate challenges, but I don’t believe they impact the Lenovo tablet issue here.”

Our CTO wrote up a very detailed and informative post about users potentially running into Wifi related issues. He mentions the following in his post:

"WiFi “range extenders” or “repeaters”. These have too many tradeoffs to be considered an actual improvement. These never worked well because they were too “dumb”. Mesh technology (where all of the base stations are coordinating with each other out of band of the WiFi signal) work much, much better.

Moving forward, while I am unable to debug your entire network, I can try to point you in the right direction. The most efficent approach I have found when a user has a complex network configuration is the “trial and error” method. Removing as much complexity from the chain of communication as possible and then adding the links back in to see where the issues occurs. I can speak from my own personal experience that when I have come across a problem like yours in my home (fairly spread out, multiple zones on multiple floors), this has always been the most reliable approach.

Being as my main “audio rig” is in our living room next to our internet access point, my troubleshooting always starts with the following:

Router - > Ethernet connection - > Core Machine + One remote.

Once I confirm this very minimal setup functions well and is stable, I add something else to the chain and then confirm that things are still in good health, and move on. While this may seem tedious, it is the best way to isolate any issues across a wide spread network configuration.

Lastly, can you provide me the specs of the machine hosting your roon core and the size of your library based on track count?

-Eric

1 Like