Library disappeared

I’ve been using Roon for over a year with minimal issues. I do have problems connecting from my Room machine (a MacBook Pro) to the Mac Mini where the core runs from time ti time, but I can eventually resolve those issues.

Today, I had a more serious issue – my entire Roon library seems to have disappeared. When I started Roon, it said something like, “You don’t seem to have any music…” and then began to add the files from the folders on my hard drives where the music is stored. That’s still going on and, since I have about 60,000 tracks it will take a while and I’m concerned that any edits I’ve been doing, such as to consolidate disparate tracks onto one album, will be lost. I do have a fairly recent backup of the Roon library. How do I go about trying to restore that? Or should I just let it re-index all my music from the HD’s?

Thanks.

Hi @kschacter ----- Thank you for the report and my apologies for troubles here. To help me evaluate this behavior you are reporting, may I kindly ask you to please provide me with the details of your setup as seen here.

Furthermore, can you think of anything that may have triggered this to occur? The more insight you can provide into this issue, the better. Remember no detail is too small.

-Eric

I am running Roon Core on a 2012 MacMini with 16 gB of RAM. I control Roon via a 2014 MacBook Pro, I’m running Roon 1.3 build 209 on both the MacMini and the laptop. My music library is contained on a 2 Tb external USB drive connected to the Mac Mini. Both are running the latest version of Mac OS Sierra, I have about 45,000 tracks. I log into the MacMini using the laptop via Screen Sharing.

The only unusual thing I recall is that, just before this happened, I restated the Mac Mini and got logged in automatically, rather than having to enter a password, as I normally do, but I believe it’s the same login name and PW. I think the Roon Control app reported that the Roon server was running an older Build of 1.3 (though I know that had been fully updated). I might be wrong about that though.

At this point, it may not matter as Roon re-analyzed my whole collection and, as far as I can tell, everything is still there (I might be wrong though since I have 4000+ albums.)

Hi @kschacter ----- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my questions. Both are appreciated!

Based on this most recent observation (after the re-scan) things sound as if they have since stabilized. Were all your edits maintained after your library was re-indexed? I have a meeting with my team later this week and will be bring your report up to try and determine what could’ve caused this to occur.

I would recommend keeping an eye out on how things hold up and if the issue re-surfaces, drop me a line and I will be glad to help get the issue sorted out.

-Eric

No - the edits were not maintained. For example, I had spent quite a long time consolidating multiple tracks from a 3-disc Keith Jarrett CD into a single album. After my problem, the new library scattered the tracks over 6 or 7 seemingly separate CDs. This is based on a HD Tracks download. It proved beyond my skills to reconsolidate them so I gave up and repurchased the CD from Qobuz. Roon recognized that fine but it cost me $25 to get a new one.

One other observation – the day before this happened, I noticed that the program was continually looking for new music (the little arrow was rotating) and a new CD I had added to my collection did not show up at all – until the old library disappeared and the new CD was picked it up in the new library.

Sorry to enter this coversation from the sideline, but I was looking for an answer to a possible problem and found this thread. I have noticed that my Roon core is constantly syncing my library as well. How often is it supposed to do a full scan of a Watched Folder? And am I at risk of losing my library as well? (praise The Maker for backups…)?

I have not looked yet if there has been a feature request about this, but wouldn’t the addition of a user-customisable interval for re-indexing be a good idea? Just like the backup, where you can set the interval and the time. Once a day is more than enough, afaIc, but please keep the ‘Force Rescan’ feature for quick listening after adding a new album.

Hi @kschacter ----- Thank you for the follow up and sharing that feedback with me.

Moving forward, I am re-reading my notes on this issue and something just jumped out at me concerning the behavior you’ve reported. You mentioned the following:

“The only unusual thing I recall is that, just before this happened, I restated the Mac Mini and got logged in automatically, rather than having to enter a password, as I normally do, but I believe it’s the same login name and PW.”

Can you verify where you got logged in automatically? Was is it Roon or the OS? The reason I ask is because Roon should only require one login when first launched and shouldn’t require the user to log in each time after that.

The only time you would be prompted to re-login to Roon is upon reinstalling the application OR if you are signed in as another user on the device hosting your core. Could you potentially be logged in under another user on the MacMini?

-Eric

The login I was referring to is to the OS, not Roon. I don’t think Roon asked for another login.

Hey @kschacter – can you zip up some logs from your Core and get them over to us? Instructions are here. Just let us know if you need a place to upload them to.

[quote="Max_Delissen, post:7, topic:23405"] wouldn't the addition of a user-customisable interval for re-indexing be a good idea [/quote]

We have a ticket open to get this done, but I don’t have a firm timeline to share. If you’re seeing this more often than you think you should, just open a new thread with details and we can take a look. Thanks!