Lose connection from NAS!

Hi
I’m not sure this issue could be reported into this category, but need everyone’s support and opinion.

I run a Fedora 22 based music server and Synology NAS. Sometimes they seem like very normal without having any single issue.
But frequently and lately I noticed Roon get lost a connection to my Synology NAS quite often. Even thought they’ve been playing music around 4-5 hours suddenly the connection got lost and I had to reboot the server to be back on the system.

Also sometimes, the mounted folder were duplicated more than 2 times and Roon and NAS got lost a connection again. It really gt annoying and need someone’s help.

Please advise any thought. Thank you in advance.

Hello @May_Park,

May I kindly ask you to please provide me with an expanded description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

-Vova

Hi @vova,

what version of Roon you are running (Settings > About; If you’re running Windows, please let us know whether you’re running 32bit or 64 bit)

• It is Roon Version 1.4(build 294) stable(64bit), I got a message that “You have the latest version installed.”

What operating system you are running (Windows 7; OSX 10.9; etc)

• Fedora 22, Kernel version 4.4.14-201.fc22.x86_64

Basic information about the device you’re using (MacBook Pro 2011 w 4gb of RAM; HP Envy laptop w i7; etc).

• Intel® Atom™ CPU N2800 (Quad core) @ 1.86GHz, DDR3 4GB RAM, 64G mSATA SSD for OS

Describe where your music is stored – this includes hard drive description and interface type (USB, Firewire, etc. If you are using a NAS or any other kind of network storage, be sure to include the information requested in the Network section below)

• Synology NAS with HDD & SSD, Qnap NAS with SSD

Let us know your collection size (approximate number of tracks)

• we tested 1TB ~ 10 TB music files(result is not changed by the storage capacity)

What router are you using? When did you last update the firmware?

• we tested with Synology DS211j, DS214, Qnap HS-251+

Is there any other networking hardware involved?

• we use 4 pcs of the network router, and one of our customer whom reported this issue uses 2 pcs of network router. (there is only one DHCP server in network)

Is everything wired, wireless, or is there a mix of wired and wireless gear?

• all CAT 6 or 7 network cable connection, No wireless connection in audio data path.

Please let me know if you need further information to solve the situation. I’m willing to provide the information to solve this issue asap.

Hi @May_Park ---- Thank you for touching base with us and providing the requested information. Both are very appreciated. Sorry to hear of the troubles.

Moving forward, when the NAS is in the state (i.e disconnects from Roon) can it still be accessed from the OS level? Furthermore, are there any other networking devices sitting between the NAS and the router being implemented (i.e switches, etc)? If there are indeed, please provide the make/models of these devices.

-Eric

It’s quite random in the OS level, sometimes it can be accessed but sometimes not.
And after a while Roon remote got lost connection and re-connected repeatedly, so that it can’t be playing music eventually. And at the same timing with this symptom, Roon shows the same mounted folder qty in /nmt folder, but by using the Linux mount comment, the qty is increased in the mount list.

But when we use Eunhasu (the sMS-1000SQ web gui) mount feature, it doesn’t have an issue once the mounted folder is set to the storage. In this situation, the qty is same in the mount list also.

The network device what we use is IPtime t16000,A3004, A6004NS model, but I’m sure that this is not about the network device issue.

Thank you and please resolve the issue. I can provide more information if you need.

Any further progress please?

I used to store my library on a NAS but have moved away from that. Go with external storage instead and only use the NAS for backups. The connectivity issues and performance is just subpar for High Resolution audio.

Hi Lee, no it should work fine with both NAS and the external USB storage drive, somehow NAS path on Roon Server behaves strange so that I need to check Roonlabs to check up this situation…

Hi @May_Park ---- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested feedback. The insight is very appreciated and my apologies for the slow response here. Things are moving a bit slower than we’d like due to the holiday season and New Year so your understanding is very appreciated!

Moving forward, you mentioned in your follow up to me that while Roon is in this state, the NAS also becomes unavailable at the OS level at times, which would suggest that there is something in the environment that is having influence on this behavior being experienced. We have many users who are happily using network based storage devices without issue, so in order for us to properly diagnose/troubleshoot this problem you are reporting, we will need access to the following information:

• Complete setup descriptions of the users being affected by this issue, using this link as a guide.

• Having the details of the network configurations/topologies of those being affected will also be needed for our analysis. Any insight that can be provided into the networking hardware (i.e router, switches, extenders, etc) being implemented would also be very appreciated and helpful. We need to have a clear understanding as to how the network storage devices are communicating not only with the application but with the user’s network as well.

• We will also need access to the Roon logs of the users who are experiencing this behavior with their NAS. We can enable diagnostics on their accounts so our techs can try to get a better sense as to what could be potentially causing this issue, but I will need the e-mail addresses associated with their Roon accounts. If you have information you can send it to me in a PM to keep any personal information private.

-Eric

Hi Eric,
I had PM to report the Roon logs, please check carefully and solve the issue.
Thank you~
Best regards, May