ONKYO DP-X1 update and USB connect problem

@support

once the new roon update at my DP-X1, seem like not stable, sometime the Audio output (android audio output) suddenly disappear, a few second later it come out again.

secound, I connect the DP-X1 to Mojo DAC thru USB cable, I can use USB Audio Player PRO app transfer song to Mojo, but when i use Roon, can’t see USB Mojo connect at audio page.

Is it Roon at android not support USB DAC connection ?

thanks
daniel chow

Hi @daniel_chow ---- Thank you for the feedback and my sincere apologies for the slow response here.

Moving forward, if you are still experiencing the mentioned issues with the DP-X1, would you kindly please provide me with the following information to help aide in our evaluation of this behavior:

• Please provided an expanded description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

• When you notice that audio output disappearing on the DP-X1 does restarting your core machine help fix this behavior?

• Can you please provide a screenshot of your “audio” tab so I have a better idea as to what _exactly_you are seeing in the Roon app when you make this observation:

“Second, I connect the DP-X1 to Mojo DAC thru USB cable, I can use USB Audio Player PRO app transfer song to Mojo, but when i use Roon, can’t see USB Mojo connect at audio page.”

-Eric

Dear Eric, @Eric
here is the screenshot

after I plug-in my MOJO to DPX1, other software can know MOJO are connected.

this screen is when i open roon at DPX1 audio page

this screen is the setup page of DPX1 in roon

This is just how Android works – you’re only going to see the Default Output there.

Also note that our Android audio output is currently limited to 16/48 (as mentioned here) but we are hoping to remove that limitation in the future.

The Onkyo DP-X1 is a HIRES Audio Player with full MQA decoding capabilities (2 ESS Sabre DACS, fully balanced circuits etc), but MQA decoding is restricted to internally stored music. Neither the TIDAL App nor the ROON app can do the first MQA unfold, nor can the Onkyo hardware serve as a renderer for TIDAL-Roon-MQA files.
I think this is due to the limitations of the Android OS.
Does this also apply to other Android-driven MQA-decoders like the LG V30 and is there a timeline for a Roon update to fix it?

Android (at least the 5.1 on the DP-X1) is limited to 48kHz. Onkyo has a SDK to go around that by accessing the hardware directly (UAPP reverse-engineered this), and Roon Labs would have to integrate this into their app. Not sure if they would have an incentive to do so, even if the DP-X1 (and Pioneer siblings) are popular among audiophiles.