Pop on Sonos ZonePlayer (Connect) Output When Skipping Track

I have latest version of Roon 1.3 streaming to an older Sonos ZonePlayer (now called CONNECT). SPDIF output goes to an AnthemAV receiver. If I jump to the next track by hitting the FF radio button, there’s a pop at the beginning of the next track. I have tried an A/B comparison using the latest sonos app on an iphone (EVERYTHING ELSE IS THE SAME IN THIS TEST) with the same album/tracks and there’s no pop when jumping ahead to the next track. I’ve tried multiple albums (all 16 bit/44.1Khz) with the same result. Anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

I’m wondering if the Sonos app sends a mute command first before skipping to the next track or whether Roon is truncating some bits/words, that should have been sent, when skipping.

The way that Roon feeds music to Sonos is by creating a virtual stream and then pointing the Sonos devices at it. Roon stitches all of the files in the queue together and Sonos thinks it’s playing one long file. My guess is that something is getting truncated on track transition.

I’ve been using the Sonos functionality extensively and have never encountered this issue. Best to flag @support here so that this is sure to get some attention.

1 Like

Hi @allenvexler ---- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the slow response. To help me better evaluate this behavior you’re reporting may I kindly ask you to please provide me with the following information:

1. A brief but accurate description of your current setup as seen here.

2. Please describe your network configuration/topology, as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you are implementing. I want to have a complete understanding of how your devices are communicating and what tools are being used to make those connections possible.

-Eric

Replied last week via email, but maybe that’s not the correct way. posting here also:

1. Current Setup:
    a. Roon Server: 1.3 Build 209 on Mac Mini (updated to latest OS version)
    b. Control: iPhone 7 with latest version of Roon
    c. All music stored on internal hard drive on Mac Mini running Roon Server: Mostly 44.1Khz 16 bit.
    d. 3000 tracks
  2. Network:
    a. MacMini running Roon Server communicates with Synology wireless router via 802.11AC
    b. Sonos Connect hooked to router via 10/100 ethernet through 8 port GigE switch

Let me know if I can provide any other details. Thanks.