ROON/AIR Devialet Issue

i’m having an issue using ROON/AIR. At random intervals I hear a ‘brrrippp’. Thought it was relater to buffering so checked the devise setup. My memory is it looked different at some point -showing the sample rate allowed by the devise (devialet), exclusive mode etc. Am I wrong?

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 5.48.22 PM

Hi @DJD ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. As always, it os very appreciated!

Moving forward, I do not have one of these devices in front of of me at the current moment but have asked one of our techs to confirm what information we should be displaying when a Devialet Expert is being used with Roon. Once I have some feedback I will be sure to follow up with you asap.

In the meantime can you please provide me with the following information:

• A brief but accurate description of your current setup, using this link as a guide.

• Please verify how the Devialet Expert is communicating with your network/Roon.

• Please confirm that you have configured the Expert in accordance to our guidelines here.

-Eric

Eric,

I appreciate the quick response. My system:

MacBook Air

• os Sierra 10.12.5
  • 2.2 GHz Intel I7
  • 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

ROON

• 1.3 (build 262)stable 64 bit

DEVIALET

• firmware 10.0.7
  • DEVIALET AIR has been uninstalled from the mac

Mac connects to a router that connects to a AVOX switch which then connects via Ethernet to the Devialet

Music stored on a NAS that is connected to the AVOX switch- mostly listen to TIDAL albums (900 albums between NAS and TIDAL favorites)

I like to upsample and use the convolution in ROON. The ‘brippp’ I’m getting when using AIR/ROON is less frequent when I only use convolution - although doesn’t go away entirely.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Hi @DJD ---- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested feedback, both are very appreciated!

Moving forward, I discussed this issue you are experiencing with a few of our techs today and as per the conversation the team has asked for the following:

• Have you ever noticed this “brrrippp” sound via your system output? In other words, is this behavior not just isolated to the Expert?

• Would it be possible for you to do a short recording of the sound you are hearing when the error occurs, so our techs can have an exact idea of what you are hearing?

-Eric

Eric,

Sent you a response and short video on my phone. Still trying to understand the protocols here. LEt me know if you didn’t get those responses.

Dan

Hi @DJD ---- Thank you for touching base with me, very appreciated!

Unfortunately I did not receive the follow up response/video :head_bandage: Can you resupply via a PM to me?

(Click my Roon “icon” and select “message”)

-Eric

Hey Eric,

Just checking in to see if you got my short video - emailed it from my phone and I never know whether that is going to go thru or not.

Thanks for you help with this.

Dan

Hi @DJD ---- Thank you for touching base with me. Unfortunately, I still have not received the mentioned response/materials.

Can you please supply your response and video to me, “here”, via a shared dropbox link?

-Eric

So are getting messages/emails but nothing is attached? Or are you not getting anything?

Hi @DJD ---- Not getting anything :head_bandage: What e-mail address are you trying to send this to? Checked my “spam” box etc.

-Eric

I’m sending emails from my iPhone - which is where the video is. Just sendt you another from the phone. The problem for me is the iPad (which is what I am on now) doesn’t have access to my videos -just pics. I’ll figure out something…

Hi @DJD ----- Thank you for touching base with me. I am going to be contacting you via PM to offer another upload method, that perhaps you can access via the web browser on the iPhone to get the video over to us.

-Eric

Hi @DJD ---- As mentioned in my response to your PM, the video has been received and downloaded. Thank you!

Furthermore, can you please provide an answer to my previously asked question:

• “Have you ever noticed this “brrrippp” sound via your system output? In other words, is this behavior not just isolated to the Expert?”

-Eric

Just happens with the Expert (thats all I use). But, it only happens when I use ROON/AIR over Ethernet. In particular if I try to do both upsampling and convolution - if I do this it happens practically every few minutes. IF I just use convolution - happens less often. It doesn’t happen at all if I use HQPlayer via USB (and associates other stuff)

Hi @DJD ----- Thank you for touching base with me, very appreciated!

Moving forward, would you kindly please supply me with a screenshot of your signal path leaving Roon when you “observe” the mentioned “brrrippp” sound.

-Eric

Eric - thanks for your help on this.

Let’s put your efforts on hold for the time being for two reasons. First, I’m going to up the speed of my internet and see if that has any effect. And second, Devialet is rolling out a new streaming board tomorrow - I’m not sure whether I will still have to use ROON/AIR at that point (hoping for something better).

I appreciate your help.

Dan

1 Like

Hi @DJD ---- Sounds like a plan. I am going to be closing the thread, but, if further assistance is required please drop me a PM and I will re-open.

Many thanks!
-Eric