Roon and Naim Mu-so

I’m wondering if anyone has had problems using roon through the Naim Mu-so? The Naim just stops working and shuts down after about an hour with Roon. Of course this may be a fault with the Naim but I just thought I’d ask as it’s happened several times now and doesn’t do this when using different software.

Flagging @support.

Hi @India_Kirby ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. Both are very appreciated!

To help me better evaluate this behavior you are reporting to us may I kindly ask you to please provide the following:

1. A brief but accurate description of your current setup as seen here.

2. Please provide the details of your network configuration/topology, being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you may be implementing. I want to have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating and what tools you’re using to make those connections possible.

3. How long have you been noticing behavior for? Has anything changed in your setup since making this observation? Curious if anything could be having an influence here.

4. When the Mu-so “shuts down”, do you find that it is happening with the same content that is being streamed? Furthermore, do you find things are more stable when playing media from your personal collection? How about TIDAL content?

-Eric

Hi I don’t think you received my reply Eric. I’ll type it again and hope you receive it.

I’m not sure I entirely understand all your questions but I’ll do my best to answer. I’m not tech savvy at all. My mu-so is connected to my pc on windows 7 which Roon is operating from. I have a wireless connection to wifi.
The shut down seems to happen when tidal is happening. It’s serious because I’ve had to take the naim to an engineer for repair because there’s no way of getting the device to start working again, which makes me think it must be the naim itself malfunctioning. However the engineer had it running via a phone app with no problem for the best part of a week. It was only when I got it home and connected to Roon that the fault appeared again. It may be a coincidence but I wondered if it was at all possible Roon software was effecting the running of the naim? Thank you for your help with this

Hi @India_Kirby ----- Thank you for touching base with me, very appreciated!

Can you provide some insight as to what needed to be repaired on the Naim Mu-So? Furthermore, may I very kindly ask you to please provide the following ( continuing from my first post):

1. Please provide the specs of the device hosting your Roon core (PC Win7). How is the Mu-So connected to this device?

2. You mentioned that you are using WiFi in your setup, please verify the following:

• What type of router are you using (make and model)?

• Are there any other networking devices being used (switches, repeaters, extenders, powerline adaptors etc)? If there are, please describe what the chain of communication looks like, for example:

Router (make/model) - > Ethernet cable - > switch (make/model) - > Ethernet - > NAS -> Same switch - > DAC.

1. Have you tried power cycling ALL of your equipment yet? Router included.

-Eric

Thank you for your reply Eric. Here’s some answers to your questions;

1. The engineer who looked at the Naim the first time round was very puzzled at what had gone wrong. He went about dismantling the device and it suddenly burst into life. He didn’t really know why it suddenly started to work. He replaced a dodgy looking wire but other than that there didn’t seem to be anything else wrong. He used a music app on his phone and it played fine.

The specs for my pc are; windows 7. System Type: 64 bit operating. Processor Intel®Pentium® CPU B950 @ 2.10GHz 2.10 GHz. Ram: 6.00 GB.

Roon finds the mu-so as an output device via AirPlay.

The wifi is a public domain. My pc connects to router TL WA7210N. There is a switch to gateway to internet. ( Not sure if I’ve answered this properly)

I did try unplugging and then reconnecting the Naim to no avail. It remained ‘dead’. I didn’t try shutting Roon or the pc down and then re-starting. I think I clicked on and off Roon but not shut down.
I hope this is helpful to you.
Thank you
India

Hi @India_Kirby ---- Thank you for following up and taking the time to answer my questions the insight it very appreciated!

Moving forward, the goal now should be to try and isolate some variables to see where things work and where they break. With this in mind may I kindly ask you to perform the following tests:

1. You mentioned in your report:

“The shut down seems to happen when tidal is happening.”

• Please confirm if the same observation is made when playing content from your locally stored collection.

• Please confirm that you can play TIDAL content without issue either from the internal speakers on the PC OR via another device.

1. I see that the Naim Mu-so has a USB port. Can you please try mounting the device to directly to your PC via USB and confirm if you still make the same observation while streaming TIDAL content.

-Eric

Hi Eric.
Thank you for your reply. The Naim is with the engineer being looked at again. When I get it back I will re-check that it’s when tidal is playing that the problem occurs or if there’s difficulties when playing my own collection. I will also test the USB connection too. I can answer your other question. Tidal runs fine through the pc’s own speakers and other devices. India

1 Like