Roon Bridge for ARM: a beginner’s guide to Raspberry Pi and Cubox-i

Optimal temperature Pi :wink:

1 Like

And it sounds soooooo much nicer too – it’s a miracle!

3 Likes

I had to reboot when changing to powersave.

Is there a way to regulate the power in a BeagleBone Black?

Connection Refused? I’m on my fourth or fifth try with this Pi (first one with a HiFi Berry hat was easy.) I’ve used pi-baker to install Raspbian Lite again…now my terminal won’t connect.
port 22: connection refused.

any ideas?

Yes: as of November 16, ash is disabled by default on Raspbian. This explains why and how to enable it:

Depending on what you want your Pi to do, you may want to look at DietPi as well.

Thanks Rene. I was going to try Diet and I can’t remember why I didn’t. I’ll go ahead and give it a shot. I just want to use usb on this Pi…hoping it will recognize my hi-face

Diet pi is as easy as pie…just edit the wifi setup in the txt file to suit your network on SE card before you put in the pi, but using Ethernet initially is the easiest.

Use Fing or other scanner to find its dhcp address or use an hdmi monitor (I use my tv) and a keyboard in the USB to navigate the menus to get the updates and kick off the install

Ha! I took one semester of Basic with punchcards over 30 years ago. With Rene’s patience, I’ve been at this all day long and I’m happy to say that I’ve at least got the thing recognized by roon and it sees the Dragon Fly I have attached, but I’m still not getting sound. Maybe I didn’t install all the extra requirements.
At least I’m learning something (that I’ll forget by the next time I have to of it!)
Thanks

Which ARM hardware/software combo is best/easiest for Wifi use?

I have used the Raspberry Pi 2 using the install instructions shown in this thread with an Edimax dongle. I had brilliant results streaming up to 24/192 files over Wi-Fi.

Doesn’t Raspberry 3 have wifi built in?

Yes it does but some metal cases cause it to not have a great signal.

I use the Pi3 in built wireless for my kitchen system. Have plastic cover and no drop outs.

Hi - quick questions for Linux chiefs. I have a Pi3 running roonbridge with SMSL M8 DAC. Upsampling to DSD64 in 1.3 but have pops and crackles at sample rates (PCM/DSD) anything higher than this. Any advantage to disabling wifi/Bluetooth ? Its not a deal breaker and I know im pushing the Pi anyway, just curious as to whether this would make a difference. I have no need for wifi/bt as its hardwired and serves no other purpose beyond being a roon bridge.

Doubt it will help there. A Cubox or odroid might be better if you want to use those sort of sample rates.

Actually, you may reduce the pops and cracks if you have a good WLAN to try instead? I think you are suffering from the shared interrupt between ethernet and USB on the Pi3.

I’ve been toying a little with a spare Pi3, running DietPI, connected to a Chord Mojo via USB.

It appears that with recent kernels/optimization the shared bus bottleneck is a thing of the past: I have been playing DSD128 and 256 (over DoP) for about an hours now, with no hiccups/pops/crackles at all.

I use and Airport Express (latest gen) as wireless bridge. The Pi3’s own WiFi breaks down at DSD128, creating a periodic gap/stutter. (This is a naked Pi3, no case, in line of sight of the access point (last-gen Airport Extreme) about 4 meters away.

@Paul_Butler: which distro are you running on your Pi? I usually disable anything I don’t use, including WiFi and BT (very easy to do in DietPi).

Hi Rene

I am running Raspbian Jessie Lite from early 2016, so maybe its time I moved to Diet Pi…

Or the alternative is that I have an old netbook (atom N270 1gb RAM) running roon bridge which I could repurpose and presumably not suffer the Ethernet/usb shared bus issue for higher sample rates ?