Roon does not find all my stored music

@support
I use Roon since end of September this year and it worked absolutely perfect until about three weeks ago. I have a Windows 10 setup where I have stored about 1100 albums (about 12000 tracks). Most of them are stored on a NAS and some are stored on the hard disk of the computer. I think that I have the latest version of Roon but I do not know where to find the version number.
During the last weeks I noticed that Roon only displays about 570 to 650 albums on the screen (Desktop of the computer and iPad using Roon remote). By using the “Browse” function it finds all stored albums but offers no way to play them all.
It is not the sole problem of the NAS storage or the hard disc storage because Roon shows or does not show albums from either storage even if they are in a neighborhood storage position.
Moreover in some cases within one single album some tracks can be recorded and some are “unavailable” (Example: Tracks 1, 2, 5, 7 are ok and tracks 3, 4, 6 are “unavailable”).
Every time when starting Roon it shows for the first minute about 1000 albums. During the following about 5 to 10 minutes it reduces the number stepwise to about 570. Sometimes in that phase Roon switches off also I have not done anything.
I cannot remember having done anything special with my computer and Roon in the last three weeks except maybe I have implemented a Roon update at that time, but I do not really remember.

You can find the version number in Settings | About …

you should also detail all the info about your system as described here

My problems have become much more problematic today. Today Roon crashes very frequently. I have not succeeded to run Roon for more then 10 minutes without crash today!
I think it is important to point out that Roon worked absolutely stable between my start with Roon in September 2017 up to middle of December. I reconstructed today that at that time I implemented a version update of Roon to 1.4. So it looks like all my problems seem to have started with that version update.

I try to describe my setup as good as possible:
Roon Version 1.4 (build 294) stable (64bit)
Computer with Windows 10
SSD hard disc 1T
QNAP QTS NAS 8T
NAS is connected via Power Line connection (devolo)
Nagra HD DAC
Library of about 1100 albums respectively about 14000 tracks
mostly dsd files (about 700, purchased); stored on the NAS
about 400 ripped files (upsampled CD) 192k, stored partly on the NAS and on the hard disc

Tonight I have read some chats in this support section and found out that Alan_Johnson seems to have similar problems (his statement about 7d ago: “Doesn’t access all files on disk”).
I have not found any pattern about which files can be accessed or not. Similar to Alan_Johnson only about half of my stored music files can be accessed - entire albums as well as single tracks. It seems to be random and covers dsd-files and 192k-files either on hard disc or NAS. Therefore I don’t think it could be a Network issue.

I honestly need support because for the moment I have no idea how to come over these problems. My biggest problem currently of course are the crashes because I cannot use Roon!
Thanks very much for your support in advance!

Hey @HGeorg,

We’d like to look at Roon logs to understand why it is crashing. Unfortunately due to frequent crashes the most reliable way is to collect them manually and send to us for analysis. Visit this page to get more details of how to manually collect logs.

Regards,
Vova

1 Like

@vova: Thanks for your answer. I will try later this day to provide the information requested. Due to the fact that I don’t have access to dropbox or similar services please tell me another way how to send the information to you.

Since you are using Windows 10, it’s likely that you have created a Microsoft Account, and that you have OneDrive storage in the cloud. OneDrive can be used as a vehicle to get logs to the Roon team.

Dear @Ivan, @Vova,

I have uploaded the Roon logs as indicated. I have tried to send this information via email to you but I receive an error message.
Best regards Hans-Georg

Thanks, @HGeorg, confirming that your files were received.

Ivan

Hi, @HGeorg, I’m sorry to bring you the bad news, but we’ve analyzed your logs, and it looks like Roon isn’t working properly because the database is corrupt. This is not an issue which can happen due to a Roon bug or its malfunctioning, something in your environment went wrong. This can be dirty shutdown of the machine while Roon app was running (power outage or similar), broken hard drive, antivirus, OS malfunctioning, malware etc.
It will not be possible to fix current DB. Your options are either to start from scratch or to try to restore from backup ( if you have one)

Since you use Window machine as your Core, too start from scratch you need to do the following:

1. Open Windows Explorer
  2. Click in the address area to the right of the text, to make it active like typing in a web browser, and type %localappdata%
  3. Find and open the Roon folder
  4. Delete all folders except Application folder
  5. Launch Roon

Sorry again for bringing the bad news.

Ivan

@Ivan: Thank you very much for your support. I followed your instructions. The result is a more than 100%-win: The problems with crashes seem to be solved and more than this the problems with not finding stored files (entire albums and single tracks in albums) also seem to be solved. Thank you very much!!!

The reason for my problems are probably some dirty shutdowns that have happened during the time I have started with Roon up to today. These shutdowns were results of a special setup of my music server. It is a privat build server optimized for playing high res music files with access via the Roon remote service installed on an iPad. The server itself has no regular display. Therefore I could not recognize any announcement of Windows to install a software update. In such a “blind” situation, I think, sometimes I have forced a dirty shutdown.

As a learning of these problems I will install a remote desktop on my iPad, so I hopefully will be able to see what’s going on with that Windows machine.

Again Ivan, thanks very much for your really helpful support!!