Roon shuts down on it's own randomly

I leave my computer on 24/7 and lately I’ve noticed that Roon will be close periodically. Kind of a pain since it takes a while to open/load/scan. Any reason why Roon would close itself down? It seems to happen after I play a full album and Roon is left “with nothing else to play”. Is that why it closes down on it’s own?

Just curious.

Thanks,
Spence

Hi Spence,
What operating system are you using ? Does your computer hibernate ? I expect @mike and @vova may want to get some logs to check this out. Roon is not supposed to die without permission.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m running Windows 10 on my PC. My computer goes to sleep, not hibernate so there’s no good reason why Roon shuts down on it’s own. Although I mostly access Roon from my PC, at times I use the new Iphone app to control Roon at home but can’t imagine that would have anything to do with it.

Thanks,
Spencer

Do you use Roon or Roon Server? When Roon is closing/crashing do you get any error message from Windows ?

Just Roon with HQPlayer into my DAC. No error messages. Is Roon Server an option??

Thanks for info. Can you please describe your setup in details, using this FAQ as a guide.
The only difference between Roon and RoonServer is that the second one has no UI and must be controlled by another Roon instance. There is no real need to switch to RoonServer.

Thanks Vova. Well, this morning I actually switched to RoonServer. I’ve been having lots of issues with my PC running Roon client server/HQPlayer and audio dropouts. Something in my CPU seems to be the issue? I want to try RoonServer to see if that makes any difference. I plan on testing this thoroughly tonight when I get home from work. I will have a second PC set up with Roon running as a “remote” along with my Iphone/Ipad apps. I also plan on adding the Roon Remote PC to my LogMeIn Account so I can access the Roon Remote PC on my main PC since I want to able to view it from my main PC.

I was only able to test RoonServer briefly this morning but it worked great with my Iphone App - much speedier than when I was running it on my main PC as a client server. Simple commands like “play/Pause” worked better with no dropouts. But I only tested for 15 minutes or so before heading to work. Will report back…

Thanks,
Spencer

I don’t know the specs of your machine, but I would also recommend you to try Roon without HQP and see how it changes the situation with dropouts and performance. I’m aware that HQP can consume much power (depends on settings you’ve picked of course).

Thanks. All of my music is stored on an Asustor AS-604T NAS. My HQP settings are for PCM upscaling only (no DSD) at 192khz. Using “Poly-Sinc” filter and “NS9” dither. These settings use up very little cpu. There are buffer/pipeline settings I can mess with too so I may look at those.

It’s very difficult to troubleshoot CPU issues with Windows 10. Sometimes a “Windows Host” process will pop-up out of nowhere and eat up lots of CPU which can lead to dropouts. I think I read somewhere that running RoonServer uses less resources than when running client? I’m hoping so since every little bit helps

Thanks,
Spence

Yup, since you have no GUI, make sure that you are using 64bit version of the app.

Yes. I’m using 64bit version.

Thanks,
Spence

Just spent the night testing this. Still too many audio dropouts. I tried reverting to running Roon as main client. Now, I think I screwed myself. I tried renaming my folder from RoonServer to Roon folder and all my media and watch are gone when I open Roon.exe. Is there a way to get back to where I was before I switched to RoonServer???

Thanks,
Spencer

Did you make a backup of the RoonServer folder? Do you still have watched folder is your storage tab ?

I didn’t make a backup, but was able to revert back to RoonServer which has my full library in tact. How do I go back to client mode?

So basically, RoonServer sees my full library - I just need to revert back to client mode. Please let me know ASAP as I’m kind of freaking out here. :smirk:

Just reinstall the Roon Remote app, it doesn’t have any valuable info except zone settings you’ve picked.

Thanks for the reply vova. I tried reinstalling but when I open it doesn’t show any of my media or settings. I did notice that I appear to have one folder called “RoonServer” and one called “Roon”. Before I switched to “RoonServer” i believe there was just one one folder called “Roon folder”. All the stuff I need is in the “RoonServer” folder. I imagine the “Roon” folder is a fresh install which is what I don’t want.

Please see attachments. My goal is no “RoonServer”, only “Roon” Client.

Thanks,
Spencer

Hi Spencer,

It might be a good idea to make a backup copy of your RoonServer folder. Make sure you shut down RoonServer program before you copy it.

Make sure Roon and Roon Server programs are shut down. In your folder, rename Roon to Roon-old or something. Then rename RoonServer to Roon.

That should do it. Make sure you uninstall RoonServer program.

Cheers, Greg

Ah, success!!! Thanks so much Greg. Going to make a backup now as I was worried there for a second. As you can see, I have a decent sized library.

Appreciate it and have a great holiday weekend.
Spence

1 Like

And thanks Vova for all your help on this.

Thanks and have a great weekend!
Spence