ROON won't connect with my SonicTransporter/Ultrarendu anymore

All of a sudden I cannot connect remotely to ROON using my SonicTransporter.Ultrarendu
combination. It has worked effortlessly for months and now it says “Trying to connect to Roon Core” endlessly. Both the SonicTransporter and UltraRendu have the latest upgrades and I have all the Roon upgrades as they show up on my iPAD. I’ve rebooted and checked both the SonicTransporter and UltraRendu unplugged and re-plugged everything several times. Both devices seem to be working because I can get them on line, but Roon won’t connect NOW.

What should I do?

Thanks,
Leslie

1 Like

Flagging @agillis and @support.

I logged took a look at this and can not find any problems. Can somebody form Roon have a look at the logs?

Hey @Leslie_Reidel – can you give us a full rundown of your devices and your network, as described here – then we should be able to look at some logs and get a sense of what’s going on here.

In particular, I’m interested in the hardware involved in your network, and the topology of the devices, meaning what plugs into what.

Thanks for your patience!

I don’t know if this is a coincidence to not, but exactly the same thing happened to me this morning…my sonicTransporter AP spontaneously fell off my network and while I can see it on the network through the browser interface, I cannot connect to it through Roon (when launching Roon I get only the sign up page) or the browser (the “manage” button fails to connect to the sT-APs apps and tools, giving only a blank web page), and the sT-APs hard drive is inaccessible from my iMac desktop. It has worked flawlessly with microRendu up till now. I’ve rebooted everything now that I’m home from work, and have the same problem.

Further to my earlier post:

I rebooted by router (Netgear Orbi) and the sonicTansporter AP and was briefly able to login to Roon and see my Library. However, the connection dropped within about 30 sec, bringing me back to the Roon login page. I was able to retrieve logs from the st-AP hard drive and check settings in Roon before it dropped off: apparently the scheduled DB back up failed last night at 2 am, the first time that has happened. Even when I was briefly able to see my Library, I could not connect to the sT-AP via the web interface (I can however connect to the microRendu).

Here’s my set up: sonicTransporter AP houses Roon Core and all my ripped CDs and hi-res downloads (about 2300) plus references to about 400 TIDAL favorites. It is wired to the Orbi router via CAT-6. I have several endpoints: microRendu (2.5) wired to the Orbi via CAT-6, feeding a Mytek Brooklyn DAC via USB; 4 Sonos zones; and a 2017 iMac wired to the network via CAT5e. Control is via current gen iPad or the iMac. Fortunately I keep a monthly Roon BD back up at work in case I need to restore…

Hi Mike,
AUDIO EQUIPMENT: SonicTransporter i5, ultraRendu, Mytek Brooklyn DAC

NETWORK EQUIPMENT:  Comcast X1 Router, Netgear Prosafe sub-router, for just the SonicTransporter and the ultraRendu.

Remote Devices: IPAD Mini and MacBook Air

All equipment has the latest upgrades.

ROON VERSION: RoonServer V1.3 (build262) according to the “Roon Diagnostic” on the the SonicTransporter, which I can access without a problem, remotely, through my MacBook and IPAD. This connection is active and always shows the current time/day stamp.

As I said, I have rep-booted and re-plugged everything many times. I cannot get Roon to connect. The LAN cable into the ultraRendu is “green light”, but the LAN cable into the SonicTransporter blinks “green” for several seconds when I hook it up and the goes to “amber,” and stays there.

Andrew Gillis (SmallGreenComputers) says, he has logged on to the hardware and found no problem. Can you access the my system remotely and check it out with the informant that I have sent or do you need more “address” information? If, need more, please say specifically what you need?

At this point, I am very frustrated because everything was working and I changed nothing except for installing the latest Roon/Tidal upgrades which come automatically. In trying to reboot, I also accidentally lost everything in my Roon cache. I am not a computer “whiz” and much of this is challenging to me. I signed on to Roon because of the promise of ease of operation which, so far, has been very good. I hope that you can help me through this challenging, problem because I’ve invested quite a bit in this streaming system and I miss the music very much.

Thanks,
Leslie

I had this recently on my iphone connecting to the STi5. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the roon app on the iphone and that sorted it.

This was soon after installing the most recent Roon build.

Worth a try…?

Hi Nick,
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried your approach on my iPAD and, alas, it did not work and now it won’t let me reinstall the Roon app. However, I can still access the STi5 on my MacBook but I cannot get Roon to connect.

Leslie

Hi @Leslie_Reidel ----- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback, as asked in @mike 's previous post. Very appreciated!

Moving forward I must apologies as there are a few things that I am still a bit unclear on in your posts. May I very kindly ask you to clarify/provide the following information:

• When asked about your network configuration/topology you mentioned that you have a Comcast X1 and a “Netgear Prosafe sub-router”. Is this device (i.e “Netgear Prosafe sub-router”) a switch and if so can you please provide the exact model of this device?

• During your troubleshooting, have you tried bypassing the mentioned “sub-router” and connecting the SonicTransporter directly to the Comcast X1?
  • Just to make sure I am understanding this correctly, both the iPad and Macbook are experiencing this behavior, correct? Furthermore, you mentioned that the you were not able to reinstall the application on the iPad. Can you please provide some further insight into this observation as you should be able to freely install, uninstall, and re-install the application on your devices.

• Have you confirmed that there are no firewalls or antivirus application running anywhere on your setup?

-Eric

Hi @wkimbel87 ---- Thank you for chiming in and sharing your feedback with us here, as well. Very appreciated!

Moving forward, as I have asked Leslie, there are a few things in your posts that I could use some clarification on :innocent: Please see below.

• Besides the mentioned Orbi router, there are NO other networking devices in your setup correct? No switches, repeaters, extenders, power line adaptors, etc.

• You have mentioned the following statements in your report that strongly suggest that you are experiencing some kind of environmental issue in your setup:

“I cannot connect to it through Roon (when launching Roon I get only the sign up page) or the browser (the “manage” button fails to connect to the sT-APs apps and tools, giving only a blank web page), and the sT-APs hard drive is inaccessible from my iMac desktop.””

"Even when I was briefly able to see my Library, I could not connect to the sT-AP via the web interface (I can however connect to the microRendu).”

• “when launching Roon I get only the sign up page” - As I am sure you are aware once Roon has been installed on your devices and is active there should be no need to have to re-sign in to the application again. Please provide further insight into this observation.
  • If you were to load the FING application on one of your devices, what does the application ping back?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

The Netgear ProSafe 5 port Switch Model #GS10SE.

Yes, I have tried bypassing the sub-router.

Yes, Both the iPad and the MacBook have been experiencing this behavior.

I have been able to re-install the Roon application.

There are no firewalls or antivirus applications running in my setup.

Here are the IP Addresses for Roon related devices:

SonicTransporter, v.2.5 IP: 10.0.0250
uRendu - 013B8A IP: 10.0.0.193

Since I have already lost my Roon cache, should I consider reloading Roon? I don’t know how to do this since it is already pre-installed in the SonicTransporter.

All this was working perfectly until a week ago and I have made not changes.

Please help - I’ve been without Roon for almost a week and it’s getting very frustration.

I appreciate your attention very much!
Best,
Leslie

Hi Eric,

Also, Each time I try to get Roon operating on the Sonic Transporter, the LAN cable on the back blinks green for about 10 seconds and then goes amber and stays there. I can access the Roon diagnostic on the SonicTransporter on both my iPad and MacBook us the IP connection and can see the current time stamp, etc. So, I can get into the device, but it is not putting out any data to the Rendu which is blinking green and seems to be working fine. So, no Roon Data except for diagnostic info is coming out.

Thanks,
Leslie

Hi Eric Thx for this reply.

Answers to your questions then a few new observations, as I lost connection to the Core against n this morning after music was playing for a few minutes.

1. No, no other networking devices. sT-Ap and mR via CAT-6 directly to the Orbi.
  2. Yes, I am aware of that there is no need to resign in to Roon repeatedly on any device.

Here are the relevant facts as of their morning.

1. On boot up of any endpoint (this morning it was a Sonos Zone, yesterday my iMac), I can see my Library (including TIDAL albums) and playback will proceed for a few minutes. The, Roon app simply loses connection to the Core (on the st-AP) and reverts to the sign-in/up page. If I re-enter my login, I can once again see my Library, but the same thing happens on playback.

2. My most recent weekly overnight backup to the sT-AP failed, and attempts to force a backup have also failed.

3. I cannot access the sT-AP via sonicorbiter.com. I can see it on listed under Music Servers on the entry webpage, but when I select “Manage” i get only a blank webpage. No such access issues affect the mR via sonicorbiter.com.

4. I was able to pull logs by accessing the sT-AP drive via my Mac and I can see right off the bat there looks to be an LINUX issue (though I am completely naive when it comes to Linux). Here is a relevant bit, though. I am happy to upload a full set of logs if needed.

10/27 07:57:56 Warn: [linuxmount/pinfo] coudn’t ascertain disk block device from proc
10/27 07:57:56 Warn: [linuxmount/pinfo] coudn’t ascertain disk block device from devtmpfs
10/27 07:57:56 Warn: [linuxmount/pinfo] coudn’t ascertain disk block device from securityfs
10/27 07:57:56 Warn: [linuxmount/pinfo] coudn’t ascertain disk block device from tmpfs
10/27 07:57:56 Warn: [linuxmount/pinfo] coudn’t ascertain disk block device from devpts
10/27 07:57:56 Warn: [linuxmount/pinfo] coudn’t ascertain disk block device from tmpfs
10/27 07:57:56 Warn: [linuxmount/pinfo] coudn’t ascertain disk block device from cgroup
10/27 07:57:56 Warn: [linuxmount/pinfo] coudn’t ascertain disk block device from pstore
10/27 07:57:56 Warn: [linuxmount/pinfo] coudn’t ascertain disk block device from cgroup
10/27 07:57:56 Warn: [linuxmount/pinfo] coudn’t ascertain disk block device from configfs
10/27 07:57:56 Info: [libraryapi] loaded first run time 6/21/2016 2:41:30 PM
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /sys
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /sys because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /proc
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /dev
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /proc because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /dev because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: devtmpfs /dev devtmpfs rw,nosuid,size=4016216k,nr_inodes=1004054,mode=755 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /sys/kernel/security
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /sys/kernel/security because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /dev/shm
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /dev/shm because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /dev/pts
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /dev/pts because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /run
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /run because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: tmpfs /run tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /sys/fs/cgroup
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /sys/fs/cgroup because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: tmpfs /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /sys/fs/pstore
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /sys/fs/pstore because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: pstore /sys/fs/pstore pstore rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /sys/fs/cgroup/devices
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /sys/fs/cgroup/devices because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/devices cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /sys/fs/cgroup/memory
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /sys/fs/cgroup/memory because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/memory cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio 0 0)
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] found newly mounted drive at /sys/kernel/config
10/27 07:57:56 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /sys/kernel/config because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: configfs /sys/kernel/config configfs rw,relatime 0 0)

I emailed @agillis yesterday but have not yet had a reply.

Thx for any help/advice.

Bill

[Edit] BTW, using a network scanner app on my Mac I can reach sonictap no problem.

Hi Eric,
Please tell me what the status of my issue is? Is there something else that you need from me in order to set things right?

Thanks so much,
Leslie

Hi @Leslie_Reidel ----- Thank you for your patience and apologies for the wait. I have been out of the office for a few days and I am catching up on any open support issues.

Moving forward, I will be contacting you via PM momentarily with some additional troubleshooting exercises.

-Eric

Hi @wkimbel87 ---- Thank you for touching base with me and sharing these most recent observations. I would like to grab a complete set of logs from the SonicTransporter-AP and will be contacting you via PM momentarily with upload instructions.

-Eric

@agillis of Small Green Computer solved this issue for me. I had been backing up my Roon DB to the SonicTransporter-AP’s root folder, rather than /storage, which eventually filled up and caused problems. He deleted the backups and all functions well now.

2 Likes

Hi Eric,
I’m please to report that Andrew Gillis, from Small Green Computers, logged onto my computer and sorted it all out! It is all working now. Apparently it was “some old code.” I thank you and Andrew for your persistence in getting back on line with Roon and all of my files seem to be intact, as well. The music is back.

Best,
Leslie

1 Like