WIndows error 'Roon has Stopped Working'

I am a few hrs into a trial period with Roon, however about 7 to 10 mins of having the app open regardless if I am playing music or not, the app crashes and I get the following error

Roon has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you a solution is
available.
Close program

The strange thing is that I only ever get the 83 Albums, 863 tracks, 77 Artist etc showing up in Roon. The app is forever scanning tens of thousands of tracks, but does not progress any further in actual adding or identify any more than the previously mentioned totals.

I have uninstall the app (removed the database) and reinstalled and get the exact same error and the exact same limit in what will import. It even looks to be the same albums, tracks and artists from what I can tell.

3 other things I have noticed

1. the network usage is very high - in excess of 70/80Mbps - while the app is open
    2 the process using all the bandwidth is ‘Antimalware Service Executable’
  2. if I turn off real time monitoring in windows defender, then it is the Roon process that uses all the bandwidth instead.

I am running Win 8.1 on a Phenom 965BE, with 12 GB of ram. My music is on a Nas drive that is mapped as N:\ and my windows Music library default location has be changed to this N:\Music, which is the location that Roon is trying to scan/import from. It wont let me add the Nas location separately as it say it is already in use.

I would like to be able to properly evaluate this product before committing cold hard cash - it certainly looks promising.