1.2 on Linux playback issues

I think this is a bug, but …

I installed 1.2 on my DIY Linux build last night. I was able to connect with my laptop and phone remotes, and play music on those devices locally.

But when I try to now play via a USB DAC off the (new) Core (was previously on Windows), I get no sound, and the UI indicates it’s quickly cycling through multiple songs on an album.

I have previously successfully run the same DAC off the same machine running MPD.

Hello @sm31,

Few details can help to start the troubleshooting : What kind of DAC do you have ? What kind of music are you trying to playback through this DAC (file format / sample rate)?

It’s an LH Labs Geek Out DAC.

Makes no difference what sample rate or format; same behavior whether DSD, or PCM Redbook.

I’ve seen this DAC get into a weird state, which can cause all sorts of confusing behavior like you’re describing.

Have you tried restarting the Geek Out? Full power off, and reboot? If you’ve already tried that, we can take another look, but starting with the obvious :slight_smile:

Since this is a USB-powered DAC, that would just mean unplugging it; right?

Think I’ve already covered that, but will confirm again.

Sigh … well, I unplugged it for a bit, and replugged it in.

When I tried to check if it would work, none of my Roon remotes can access the Core, despite the fact that it’s running.

# service roonserver status Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status roonserver.service ● roonserver.service - RoonServer Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/roonserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled) Active: active (running) since Sat 2016-04-16 13:56:58 EDT; 16min ago Main PID: 18722 (start.sh) CGroup: /system.slice/roonserver.service ├─18722 /bin/bash /opt/RoonServer/start.sh ├─18726 /opt/RoonServer/Mono/bin/RoonServer --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonServer.exe ├─18737 /opt/RoonServer/Mono/bin/RoonAppliance --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonAppliance.ex... ├─18744 /opt/RoonServer/Server/processreaper 18737 └─18763 /opt/RoonServer/Mono/bin/RAATServer --debug --gc=sgen --server RAATServer.exe

Managed to get it to work (for now). Had to select the library again per other thread.

I think this issue (not the DAC problem) is related to the fact that after installing RoonServer, I changed the default storage location. A maybe suggestion: perhaps the install script can prompt for the location before starting it up for first time?

If you want to change the default storage location make the changes in the easy install script then run the install.

To be clear, I was referring to setting and applying the “ROON_DATAROOT” environment variable. I could indeed have edited the script to do that, but it wasn’t apparent to me I’d need to do that.

Might just be need for another sentence in the docs that addresses the “if you plan to use a location other than default for Roon data storage, make sure to edit the easy install script before running it,” or whatever …