Hey @Fernando_Pereira – thanks for your patience here. We’re discussing your issue and trying to understand what makes your setup different from the many thousands of stable Linux Cores we’re seeing on 1.3 using similar configurations.
Generally speaking, these are some of the most frustrating issues to resolve – when 98% of people in a given configuration are having no issues, problems with the remaining 2% are almost always environmental – a network setting, a bad cable, a failing hard drive, etc. Sometimes it’s a combination of a bug on our side combined with something unique on site, but it’s almost never something simple.
We have a long track record of working at these kinds of issues until we pinpoint the problem, no matter how long it takes, so thanks in advance for your patience.
First off, I’d like to get a look at the logs from your Core. Can you zip up the logs folder from your Core database and send me a Dropbox link to the whole folder? It would be great to know a rough time frame for when your storage configuration last went awry, too.
Can you also let me know the Settings you’re using to mount your Synology? Obviously, I don’t want your log in and password, but a clear sense of the address you’re typing and steps you’re taking would be helpful, as I’d like to make sure the testing we’re doing in house matches what you’re doing as closely as possible.
Thanks again @Fernando_Pereira – looking forward to resolving this soon!