1.3 upgrade woes [resolved]

unfortunately @Sarah_Clement – those modifications are throwing us off…

would you mind restoring your 1.2 DB, restarting 1.3, have no music show up, and send us a log?

that indeed is the real bug… what you did to add folders is what caused the re-add to happen… the real problem is that your old music didnt show up.

@dabassgoesboomboom – did you also have no music when you came up, and then added folders mannually to your storage?

Some music does show up–just not all of it. So I had to add in some Watched Folders. Tell me how to provide you with the Log you are seeking.

Here is a screenshot of my Watched Folders. After the 1.3 update, only the Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2TB folders showed up. I had to manually add the lv storage folders (My HD Tracks Music and My DSD Tracks). Should I remove those again? And then send you a Log?

If I am correct are this the locations of the log files:

On Windows: C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local\Roon\Logs
On Mac: /Users/Library/Roon/Logs/

PM them to @ben

After I added in the two extra Watched Folders, my high res music is uploading but unfortunately all as “Recently Added,” rather than how it was originally imported back in 1.2. I guess I can live with that so long as I have all my music. But I see where a bunch of edits I made to the high res metadata has been deleted. So I will have to do all that over again, even though I deleted the dB created with the 1.3 update and restored the dB from my 1.2 build.

In the set of logs you sent us I see a folder at what I believe is lv storage/music/flac/iTunes which isn’t in that screenshot. I’m confused as to what is happening there, because that folder (lv storage/music/flac/iTunes) appears to be the one with the duplicate imports that are causing your added dates to be incorrect.

The way our filebrowser interacts with how Linux/Mac set up their mount points is making this somewhat confusing, because I think that lv storage is actually the /storage directory on what shows up as the Samsung SSD. in particular, if you look carefully at that screenshot it also shows that there aren’t any tracks in the lv storage/music/flac/My HDTracks Music or My DSD Tracks locations, so if files in those are playable in Roon now they should be playable without those folders added.

Am I correct that your current state in Roon is the result of the following steps:

1. Delete 1.3 DB
  2. Copy 1.2 DB
  3. Start Roon, wait for some amount of imports
  4. Add the two watched folders

If that is so, could you try just disabling those two folders and confirming that tracks in those folders don’t play?

From the Logs I sent you last night, I did add that additional Watched Folder lv storage/…iTunes. This morning though I removed all the Watched Folders, deleted the 1.3 dB, and restored the 1.2 dB. Still had to add two more Watched Folders though–the lv storage/…My DSD and My HD Tracks. Now all my high res music that was missing is being added but as Recently Added, not with the dates it used to have in 1.2

Ok, that fits with my understanding. Could you try disabling the two folders you added after starting 1.3 this morning and confirm that the music in them doesn’t play? To disable, just click on the 3 dots menu for the folder in that storage settings screen and select ‘disable’

I disabled the two “lv storage” folders that I added. And the high res music still plays! So I guess it was there after all. Or is it playing just because it got scanned already, before I disabled the Watched Folders? And although the high res music plays without those two added Watched Folders, the metadata edits I previously made, and the Date Added info, from my 1.2 dB is all gone.

And the music is playing with dropouts and skips, which never happened even once before with my high res files in Roon, but maybe that is because I have scanning on FAST in the background

Roon won’t play music from disabled folders even if it has previously scanned them, the tracks disappear pretty much instantly when the folder is disabled.

I’d try the following to get the metadata edits back:
First, try removing the two new folders instead of disabling them. This should let Roon go back to using the metadata information from the original copies of the tracks in those folders.

If that doesn’t work, try going back to the 1.2 DB one more time, and just not adding any new watched folders.

This is certainly possible. It’s also very easy to test, just temporarily set the analysis speed to ‘off’ and see if the dropouts go away.

Either way, let me know what happens after trying these things.

Update: NOT ALL my high res music is in the library now, after disabling those two Watched Folders. I searched for some I added in the last couple of days, the most recently added albums, and they are no longer in my library. And the dropouts stopped once I turned the analysis off as you suggested.

I had to add the two lv storage folders back in in order to get all my high res music. Now I’ll try restoring the 1.2 dB again

OK @Sarah_Clement – take a step back.

First, let’s diagnose you original problem, which is:

you were all happy with 1.2, andwhen you upgraded to 1.3, some of your music was missing.

Please confirm that it is indeed the original issue.

If we manage to resolve this original issue, I bet most of your other issues will just go away.

Now, I understand you are eager to try to fix this by adding folders and stuff, but I really need you to not do that. It only makes the original problem harder to resolve.

Can you do this:

1. kill 1.3 settings and databases on your core
  2. restore your 1.2 database
  3. start the 1.3 core software
  4. connect your remote, and without changing any settings, please take a screenshot of settings -> storage and post it here
  5. tell us if it looks right, or if anything is missing, or if anything is extra, or if anything is misconfigured.
  6. give us logs, like you did before
  7. wait for us to respond – you can play music you have access to, but please do not touch the storage settings or do anything else to try to get back your music.

We actively are waiting for your response.

Danny I will try to do all this. How do I “kill 1.3 settings and databases on your core”? Does this mean delete the dB folder again, like I did last night?

Also, you have not fully captured my original issue. When I updated to 1.3, all of my music started rescanning and reloading into the library. When I checked Watched Folders, I saw that only 2 had been added. At that point I added the additional ones, while the rescanning and reloading process was already underway.

yup

rescanning is safe and does nothing harmful. it will happen always.

unsure what this means… in the popup that comes up when you click on the top spinner, are you seeing the count for “added” being incremented when you start 1.3?

this will absolutely cause the problem of your import dates getting screwed up… i am interested in what happened before this point, not after.

Yes, the tracks and albums count was going up. Like the music had to be added in again. At that point, I added the additional Watched Folders. I am reloading my 1.2 dB right now, and after it finishes copying over, I will restart my core which is running 1.3 and will NOT add anything to what shows up in Settings as my Watched Folders.

Perfect, then screenshots, observations about storage settings, and logs :slight_smile: