1.6 New Search function

So what do we think of the new search function?

My first thoughts:

1. Needs an immediate fix: it doesn’t reset to a new search. When you click the magnifier icon, it starts re-executing the last search. Annoying.

2. Slow as molasses. I hope this is just the core re-indexing. If it isn’t, well… then I’m far from satisfied.

3. When the result finally arrives, it does look good. The filter seems to work, so that’s good. Adding the artist name to the track title looks like it works, so good as well.

4. The search result seems to put recently played music first in the results pane. Not sure why. Probably this context related thing. I don’t really think this is an improvement.

It shows promise but I’m still not very impressed. For the moment it’s so slow that it’s virtually useless.

I hope it gets tweaked very soon.

Yeah, the slowness is a deal-killer if it doesn’t improve.

Just curious. How slow is slow? For example, I can search on Eddie Money and it is 3 sec for a full response (which includes both Tidal and Qobuz results).

Wow. Problem maybe solved. Just now Eddie Money took me 3 sec.

An hour ago it was more like 60+ seconds.

It is mentioned that there is a metadata update going on wich takes 7 to 10 days to complete. Searching might be slower then normal.in the meantime. Roonlabs should have reported this in the release note.

1 Like

Pretty sure this was regarding artist photos, not search.

Yup we just brought up some more servers. Lots of people using Roon at the moment :slight_smile:

Playing around with the New Search leaves me with a bad feeling that results are not reliable - for a local only library. While mostly it looks nice - except for that big empty space which is probably intended for holding post-its - I would not have expected the following for a search term “bach”:

That track is the Top Result? Really - wouldn’t that be J.S. Bach - especially when I happen to have a Complete Bach Edition in the library, wouldn’t that be the guess to make here?

Just scanning through the album results shows me that some “bach” albums are not shown which I know I have - instead some results do not seem to have anything to do with bach (scanned the credits, no bach mentioned) but show up. Impression: Search will not come up with reliable results for albums (yet?).

Artist results inspection made me wonder too a bit:

The thumbnail quality seems random - I’ve checked the source artist artwork, there was no indication why things have to look so pixelated (or blurred for the not marked Nederlandse Bachvereniging thumb).

And the result “Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)” seems to point to an orphaned library entry:

Previously (< 1.6) such results didn’t show up. Why now?

To be honest: after this I’m afraid I won’t trust search results in Roon. Which I did before. :frowning:

Check, you are right. Just came across the post again.

I don’t find the top result particularly useful, but search finally passes half of my litmus test (a search for “feeling good” shows Nina Simone as the top track result)

It fails the other half though. “Top Tracks” is still anything but:

Does anyone else have this issue?

Whatever I search for seems to generate duplicates of the same track (see the first image below), but these double again when you click through to All Track Search Results (see the second image below).

Duplicate Results

Quadruple Results

I did mention this in the Roon 1.6 Feedback Thread but it seems to have got lost in that discussion so I thought I’d mention it again here.

Yes, I’ve seen duplicate results. Have not determined what triggers it, as it’s not happening for all searches. It does reproduce on at least one search.

I don’t get the same top result as you (I get Bach Choir), but nevertheless I do get J S as the first named composer. He only occasionally gets credited as an artist, usually by incorrect metadata.

Also, typing characters “johann” into the funnel brings him to the fore.

The duplicate bug was reported. Thanks for feedback.

1 Like

I believe Roon’s top tracks for an artist relate to the most played tracks by you in your library. Is that not the case for you?

So, as a Top Result, you don’t get some Track but an Artist? I was whining about this Track as a Top Result. Under composers further below and not seen in the screenshot, I do get JSB too, of course.

I’ve been playing around a little more (not a lot, that’s for the weekend), and I’m getting less and less impressed and more and more annoyed.

I did a search for “help” (as in the Beatles song) and got this as a “top track” result:

Not very useful. You’d think all tracks either starting with “help” or having just “help” for a title would come first, but no.

On to the “view all tracks” follow up screen and applied a filter, namely “Beatles”, which gives me this:

So yes, I can find the track, but the sorting is illogical.

I really don’t get it. I’ve been asking for a parametrized search function ever since I subscribed to Roon. I’ve gotten a lot of beside-the-point answers about context related searches and other stuff that might be fun to have, but when it came down to a functional, directed search all I got was dismissal and disdain (in the vein of “field based search is obsolete”).

Well as it turns out, the approach chosen by the Roon development team seems to be obsolete from the get go.

What use is a search function that returns a load of unsorted results that contain a lot of irrelevant entries?

Is it so much to ask for a DIRECTED search? Let the user direct the search: let the user specify which result he or she wants returned: artist, track, album, composition and all permutations thereof. Let the user specify whether or not the result should be an exact match or a partial match.

I really feel let down here.

1 Like

I did for this search.

I don’t know how the algorithm decides but one can certainly get any of the categories as top result. All depends on the search term and your library.

Something not right here. I search for help and I get the album as the top result and this for the tracks…

EDIT. Ahhh, you don’t have the album in your library. There’s a difference, although I agree the beatles version should be higher on your results

EDIT 2 the Beatles version is the top result outside of your library I think?

Yup! I think it’s the whole “context” thing.

What I don’t seem to get across to Roon is that “context” is relative. The context I want to apply might be totally unrelated to my existing library or even diagonally opposed to my listening habits.

It’s not for the software to decide what I will find, it’s up to me to set the parameters (context if you will) for the search. How else am I going to expand my library or browse and discover genres I’m not familiar with?

Nope. It’s “With a little help from my friends”. And then only with a “Beatles” filter applied.

Can’t make heads or tails of the thinking behind this.