1.7 tracks skipping

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz desktop 16GB Windows 10 Roon 1.7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Network Google Mesh WiFi, and ethernet; Broad band 70Mbps download speed

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Meridian ID41 via wifi; Meridian MC200 via ethernet; Squeezbox Touch via wifi

Description Of Issue

Frequent skipping to next track on Qobuz; possibly occasional skipping on Tidal; local storage seems ok.

2 Likes

Hi @hecd2,

How often does this happen?

Does this occur if you play to System Output of the Core macine without using DSP/

Varies, but nearly every track on one 24/96 Qobuz album, so unlistenable. Will check system output and update later.

Second track of Qobuz 16/44 album skipped about halfway through played from System Output no DSP:

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Roon 1.7 not playing complete tracks on Qobuz and Tidal

Track 4 skipped. Every other track Qobuz 16/44 album skipped about halfway through played from System Output no DSP

A post was merged into an existing topic: Songs skipping halfway through

Support: I don’t know if this is helpful: in history skipped tracks show as less than 100% but in album view skipped tracks show as played.

I have seen advice to log out and log back in to streaming services on other threads. Logged out of both Tidal and Qobuz. Restarted core machine. Logged back in. First Qobuz track skipped. Tidal skipping less but still skipping and aso playback frozen. See separate report.

Hi @hecd2 — Thanks for the updated info here.

Moving forward, can you trying playing to System Output without DSP and when you experience a skip please note the track that was playing and the time in your local timezone of the skip. Respond here with that information and we will enable diagnostics.

Thanks!

Hi @dylan I have an update for you. I normally connect to the internet through a VPN. I discovered today that if I turn VPN off and connect directly through my ISP the skipping on Qobuz and Tidal seems to have gone (played about 50 tracks no skipping). Not a download speed issue as I am getting the same download speed thru VPN and no VPN. This is not a permanent solution as I prefer to have VPN enabled and it worked flawlessly before in V1.6. I wonder if others with this problem are also connecting via VPN.

No VPN here, same problem

Thanks for the update, @hecd2!

Has this continued to be the case (no issues without a VPN in use)?

If you turn the VPN back on does the issue immediately return?

@dylan, here is an update. I am going to do a complete record of what I have done with VPN since before the update so you can have it all in one place.

1. Before update running v1.6. Rock solid. No skips, freezing or other dodgy behaviour whatsoever. Always connected via VPN.
  2. Updated to v1.7. No change to VPN connection. Very frequent track skipping of Qobuz stream (about every other track) independent of bit rate and depth, endpoint and DSP (including system output with no DSP). Occasional skipping of Tidal tracks (maybe 1 per album). No skipping of local files but limited testing. One instance of playback freezing with play/pause buttons inoperative - had to restart core app.
  3. Logged out of Tidal and Qobuz. Restarted core PC. Logged back in. No improvement.

From here on all testing is with Qobuz - no Tidal or local files tested as yet.

1. Tried turning off VPN and connecting directly through ISP. Major improvement. Qobuz played about 80 tracks no skipping or freezing. (There was one possible skip but I am unsure if this actually occurred).
  2. Turned VPN back on using same VPN server as before. Much improved behaviour over previous use of VPN. One skip in 35 tracks.
  3. Changed VPN server to another randomly selected server. Seemingly further improvement - no skips in 20 tracks but more testing required which I have no more time for today.

In ALL cases, VPN or no VPN, I am getting the same download speed - 70Mbps.

It seems the skipping problem is definitely associated with the incoming buffering scheme and possibly has something to do with the TCP/IP packet arrival timing. But you guys know far more about this stuff than I do. I hope this is helpful.

EDit: Another three hours of streaming on the same VPN server as in 6) above with no skips.

Hey @hecd2,

I see things are looking more stable here but I wanted to let you know that we just released Build 505 with some additional changes that may help here.

Can you give it a shot and let us know how things are going?

Thanks!

More details are here:

What I think will be the final post from me on this subject: since build 505 Roon has been rock solid. Half of my listening since 505 was installed has been through VPN which I found to be the use case that resulted in skipping in build 500. However, yesterday I migrated Roon to a NUC running ROCK, which has been, wait for it, wait for it, rock solid. @support - you guys and the tech team have done a fantastic job on this issue.

2 Likes

Hi @hecd2 — I’m glad that things are working for you now! Please feel free to reach out if you ever have any other questions or issues. Happy listening :headphones:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.