1.7 update issues - nothing plays

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Core: ROCK Roon 1.7
Remote: Windows 10

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Chord Qutest USB DAC.

Description Of Issue
After having upgraded the core and the client to 1.7 nothing plays, no local files stored on NAS on my network, no Tidal, no Qobuz.

I can see everything in my library but pushing play gives me error messages… playback was interrupted… too many failures stoping playback.

I have rebooted the ROCK and restarted and rebooted my DAC and done everything I could think of. When restarting ROCK the client does not easily rediscover it, I need to look for new core before it finds it.

What to do?

Very Bizarre development. Just logged into office windows 10 machine. Roon runs perfectly, no more error messages. Then, ran update to 1.7 505 on ROCK and Windows remote. Error messages returned, cant play! Bizarre, how did the issue resolve ? why di the issue reappear ?
The only difference in behavior from yesterdays events is that when windows remote starts it now connects to ROCK instanty as usual, vs. yesterday where it had great difficulty.
Hoping things will settle down and then work again…never experienced something like this which required system to settle? DB issue ?

Hi @Mark_Sherman,

If you play to System Output of the Core machine is there any change?

the ROCK core does not offer anything called system output

four hours later…system has settled and works perfectly now. I’d really like to understand what was happening, never experienced this with a Roon update before.

Hi @Mark_Sherman,

Have things remained stable for you since your last update?

all good. I am however quite hesitant to restart the ROCK as I fear a return of earlier issue. Doing so would of course demonstrate finally that all is good. Can you explain what took place here ?

I have a similar issue. Room core upon startup won’t connect, then after some time stabilizes. Then days later I start a session and find room is not connecting, wait some time and all good.

Hi @Mark_Sherman,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

When you’re in this state does a reboot of the Core machine help?

Reboot does not help. I reinstalled rock, rebuilt database from scratch. While scanning my library I had the same failures…some hours later, once scans complete, I had a stable system…but for now long?

Hi @Mark_Sherman,

Can you provide some additional setup info using the link Dylan posted?

If this issue occurs again, I suggest we take a closer look after having all the details regarding your setup and resort to reinstalling the database as a troubleshooting step further down the line.

Couple of things, I have already started a thread in the support section which gives my setup details and then how is reinstalling the db different from rebuilding it from scratch as I have already done

Hi @Mark_Sherman,

Thanks for letting me know, I see that you’re working with @dylan in the thread so I’m going to go ahead and close this one and keep the discussion here:

Hi @Mark_Sherman,

Does this occur every single time that you reboot the Core?

When this occurs can you reach the Nucleus Web Administration Interface? Does it show that RoonServer is running?

In my most recent experience I played some music, all fine. went to audio settings and clicked on the window where the usb connection name is…just touching that destabilized the system and following that I can no longer play music, just successive failure to load errors. I restarted roon core from the web interface (which looks all normal) and still wont play. Tomorrow morning I will, have a look, see if things have stabilized and report back.

Hi @Mark_Sherman,

Does rebooting and disconnecting the DAC yield any changes at all when it’s in this state?

Does this same behavior occur if you connect the DAC via the Windows remote instead of the ROCK Core?

Dylan, I am checking the system remotely so cannot try the dac connected to the windows remote. That said, after restarting last night, the system has not stabilized 15 hrs later. On at least one occasion, re-powering the DAC did resolve the issue, but not on others. Also take note that I have another RPI endpoint on the network which also experiences the same failures. This behavior is subsequent to 1.7 upgrade all worked perfectly in 1.6.

Dylan, further to the above reply. With the system unstable and unable to play on either the qutest via usb to the core and the rpi on the network…I had a colleague unplug the usb from the core. At that point functionality returned to the RPI. He then replugged the DAC…functionality returned to both endpoints! ???

Hi @Mark_Sherman,

If you leave the Chord Qutest USB DAC unplugged and just play to other zones does this issue return still for the other zones?

Dylan, I can’t test for this scenario at the moment. I can tell you that after leaving the machine yesterday in a working moment, now 15 hours later, its back to its failing state. Seems that the Rock core does not like the connection to the quetest dac. Why this is the case in 1.7 and never in 1.6 or earlier, you’d have to tell me. As I am remote, on monday I will have the Dac disconnected completely and see if the core wlll remain stable…I think we both think it will. What do you suspect is the issue here ?