1.8 Audio devices in Settings but not in Zone picker [Ticket In]

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROCK Version 1.0 (build 227) stable
Roon Core version 1.8 build 753
Gen8 i5, 8GB RAM, 500 SSD

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ROCK 1Gb ethernet connection to Netgear GS728TP
Wifi - Airport Extreme
pfsense router - 500Mb fiber internet connection

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

MacBook Pro wifi (internal speakers, headphones)
MacBook Pro wifi (internal speakers, headphones)
ATV4 ethernet (HDMI)
several ATV4K wifi (HDMI)
iphone 12 mini (iOS 14.4) wifi - used as remote and endpoint (headphones)
iphone 5S (iOS 12.5) wifi - used as endpoint, (lighting to audio adaptor)
Ropieee 3.075 ethernet, connect to DAC SMSL m500 via USB

Description Of Issue

Some of the endpoints disapper from available Audio Zones after a period of time.
First time it occurred was with the Ropieee after the 1.8 upgrade. It played fine for several hours. I stop playing music in that zone and when I went to back to play again the zone was gone. Ropieee was visible under Settings > Audio. But not under Select Audio Zone. After restarting the Core (Roon software only), the Ropieee zone was available again.
15 hours later, Ropieee was gone again. This time I noiced that several other endpoints, including my iPhone 12 mini were also missing. See video link.
Missing enpoints:
Family Room - Ropieee
M Bedroom iPhone 5S
Living Room iPhone 5S
T’s 12mini

Click here for Missing Audio Endpoint video

Restarting Core fixed again.

12 Likes

How so? In my case, once a device has an ip addresses the the router is irrelevant unless the device it trying to talk outside the local network. Everything is connected via a business class switch. The Roon Core sees the endpoints in the Setting Audio menu.The endpoints all connect to Roon Core. So the devices are clearly communicating with one another.

Note, this issue did not exist before the 1.8 upgrade. I’m not knocking 1.8 at all. I love the UI changes and minor issues are expected whenever there are major software releases.

I’m happy and capable to provide more technical information as necessary.

Same issue here…

Audio Zone is lost when restarting Roon client on Mac.

Restarting Roon Server software on ROCK Core brings back the Audio Zone on the Mac.
Audio zone device is a CoreAudio DAC connected to the Mac (RME Babyface Pro). Endpoints all visible and enabled the Audio settings menu, just not appearing in the Audio Zone list.

Everything has fixed IP addresses on the same 1Gbps hardwired LAN.

All was fine on 1.7.

1 Like

Yep I experienced this today running my SMSL M500 connected.to my RPi3 (DietPi). Working fine then suddenly the source disappeared despite being still visible/enabled under the audio settings. I had to restart my core to fix.

Seeing no audio zones to select, 1.8 - Support - Roon Labs Community

No AudioZones in 1.8. They are in settings, but cannot be selected.

1 Like

Restart your core

No AudioZones. They are in settings, but cannot be selected.

Poking around in the logs I see these types of errors.

02/10 15:11:14 Debug: NotifyCorruptZoneDatabases Exception LevelDb.Exception: IO error:lock/roon/data/RoonServer/Database/Core/4fd4e0fc871d438485e75cccc619322d/transport/zone_16011368f99d8eb92075973da43e0eaec37c.db/LOCK: already held by process
   at LevelDb.Database._CheckError(IntPtr err)
   at LevelDb.Database..ctor(String path)
   at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.ZoneDb..ctor(String dbpath)
   at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.Zone..ctor(State state, Module module, Sooid zoneid, IEnumerable`1 endpoints)
02/10 15:11:14 Error: [transport] emptying out corrupt zone database 22:1:9df96813-b98e-7520-973d-a43e0eaec37c
02/10 15:11:14 Critical: scx: in OnExit: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.Zone._CancelPendingSleep()
   at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.Zone._StopWithoutTouchingDatabases()
   at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.Module.NotifyCorruptZoneDatabases(IZone zone, Exception e)
   at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.Zone..ctor(State state, Module module, Sooid zoneid, IEnumerable`1 endpoints)
   at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.Module.ev_threadexit()
   at Sooloos.SynchronizationContextThread.OnExit()
1 Like

Same here. Very inconsistent and frustrating. I have a lampizator pacific which I turn off when I’m done and turn back on when ready. Roon seems to forget about it and not see it when it comes back up. It was instantaneous in 1.7. Ugh… Does anyone have a workaround for this?

Anil

I have this issue also. This is a huge deal breaker for me. And there’s another one but it’s not the topic of this discussion.

Looks like issue is fixed. I got all zones back.

Same here. I have Mac mini and RME ADI-2 fs.

1 Like

I just had a zone disappear after a screen freeze on an Android 9 remote.
Reboot of ROCK brought it back.
Momentary annoyance.
Trust that Roon guys will kill the bugs.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that we have a ticket in for this. I can’t provide any specific timelines, but we hope that this will be resolved soon!

In the meantime, if you reboot your Core machine your zones should become available again for some time.

20 Likes

Thanks for the update.

I keep losing my Audio-gd amp/dac (usb connected to laptop running Roon). Rebooting NUC (ROCK) brings it back. This time its dropped while sitting on laptop screensaver for a couple hours. Everything powered up, no standby. Nothing was turned off. Turning pc/dac/ off/on had no effect.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nuc7i7 Roon 1.8 build 756

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Ropieee 3.075 Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3
USB connection to SMSL M500 DAC.

Description Of Issue

After upgrade to 1.8 everything was working fine, then I lost connection to my SMSL DAC. When I verified that I could connect to the RPi via ethernet, I noted that there was an upgrade availalble to Ropieee. I upgraded Ropieee to the latest version, but this did not resolve the issue. I then rebooted the Roon server software, and the SMSL DAC re-appeared. All good until today, when it disappeared again. I rebooted Roon server software again, and it re-appeared. Connection had been stable under 1.7. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Mark

1 Like

Hi @Mark_Pocock ,

Does the same issue occur if you try to connect the DAC directly to the Roon Core?

Can you please provide some more details on the networking gear?

Hi Noris
Thanks for the quick response. Not having the issue at the moment, can turn the DAC off and it disappears in Roon, turn it back on and it reappears. Next time it fails to appear, I will try connecting directly to Roon Core.
Networking Gear:
Roon Core connected to TP Link SG 105 Gigabit Ethernet Switch, which is connected to
TP Link SG1016G Gigabit Ethernet Switch, which is connected to
DLink DGS-105 Gigabit Ethernet Switch, which is connected to
Raspberry Pi 3 running Ropiee

Thanks

Mark