1.8 build 795... and backup still

yes… that screenshot is there just to show that there is something there inside… and that those sub-folders has been created by Roon itself during the previous backup process… that another thing I don’t understand, I mean… what it doesn’t detect what it has done before… is there maybe a problem of compatibility between backups done with 1.7 and the new 1.8 ?

It does detect what it has done before - that Backup Now function is for taking Manual Backups, you you decide where you want to place a Backup, so Roon asks you for where you want to have it, each time you invoke the function.

Scheduled Backups are different. The first time you set one up, Roon will ask you for the location for the Backups. To view what Backups Roon has made in the location, click on “View” and then the “3 dots” menu, and choose “Clean/Restore” to view the (scrollable) list of Backups.

The list will show all Backups made by all versions of Roon.

yes again :slight_smile:

… in fact the point is that whit “backup now” I can’t see the USB key that is there, as demonstrate … I try to explain again…
1st… select safety backup

then in Manual Backup choose Select Folder

then now it shows the USB key where. a folder is there… you can confirm the directory or you can select the folder and confirm… it is not clear what is right and what is wrong but, in any case it doesn’t start the backup

the only way to have a backup is formatting the usb, with external computer, and then creating in Roon a new folder from zero… but this erase any safety from backup as the previous backup is gone to do a new one

hope is more clear now

Just a thought, but I see from your first Windows 7 screenshot that the stick has been formatted as FAT32. Roon OS prefers exFAT to be the format (as Best Practice). Have you tried this?

2 Likes

No, tomorrow I will try…

before to format/erase I decided to make a copy of the usb stick in my NAS (not connected to NUC) … :astonished: windows tell me it will required roughly 4 hours… wow

I have roughly 700 cd in my database (I mean from Quobuz) and the system declare

immagine

really?
twelve thousand folders and eleven thousand files for only 700 cd? … WOW

maybe is because of the huge number of files/folders that after 10 days a solution/reply is still missing

by the way… looking back in my forum history I can find that I already claimed, and I was not alone, same problem in June… September… October… November… all in 2020

is it realy possible that support need ONE YEAR to fix it?

I haven’t read the whole thread, but I’ve also been having trouble with backups, turns out they were my own doing. My advice is to buy a USB thumb drive, 32 or 64gb, reformat it to ExFat, plug it directly into a Rock usb port. Set up a new backup schedule to this usb drive. I set every 4 days/5 copies (otherwise it runs out of disk space, and fails). In this new schedule, click the 3 dot menu and select “force now”. You should get a new full backup, and subsequent backups (from the schedule) will be “sequential” to this.

Yeah, this is what it does. I know nothing about databases, but Apples Photos does the same thing. The most important thing is, it doesn’t matter. We’re not supposed to navigate these folders, we are supposed to trust the software knows what to do with them! Though, it makes copying a backup a very slow process, and FAT32 doesn’t seem robust enough.

Source a new dive, format it ExFat, try again. If Roon is happy with the back up, you are too :wink:

" …buy a USB thumb drive, 32 or 64gb, reformat it to ExFat, plug it directly into a Rock usb port. Set up a new backup schedule to this usb drive. I set every 4 days/5 copies (otherwise it runs out of disk space, and fails). In this new schedule, click the 3 dot menu and select “force now”. You should get a new full backup, and subsequent backups (from the schedule) will be “sequential” to this."

thks :slight_smile:
that is what I used to do since the beginning… with problems… then I switched to manual backup on multiple hardware, three different usb stick, used in rotation… that was not as fine as should be with a software/service that costs this amount of money (I mean the lifetime subscription… that I have) but I can survive at that…

the serious point is back and becomes important when the software doesn’t recognize anymore the directory it has created and the files it has written inside … in other words: NO backup!

anyway… yesterday I formatted one of those keys as exFat and done a manual single backup… I don’t know why but that remember me the times of windows 3.1… a billion years ago… with dinosaurs on earth and inside computers… with this bugged backup we are still there

unfortunately experience demonstrate that it desn’t know what it does…

As someone that has migrated a few setups I can confirm as much as the backup structure is a pain in the backside, it does.work (or has worked without issue for me).

It’s not easy to navigate, but I assume this is a level of randomness to stop having to many files in a single folder. I copy mine using syncback and always get annoyed at how many files are stored in this structure and I am sure it could be simplified dramatically, but everytime I have called upon it, it has worked perfectly.

Personally, I would simply get an external USB drive, and not use a stick. For one thing, it will be a lot faster with the hundreds of thousands of files that have to be copied across.

For my size of Library (2534 albums, 51786 tracks), a 120GB external SSD is more than adequate (e.g. a Verbatim Vx500, cost about €40)

10 backups take up about 50GB.

Roon 1785

1 Like

Geoff… you are a devil! :laughing:

ok, just orderd the Vervatin twin → HIKVISION T200N

1 Like

Geoff… today I’m having again problems… I’ve opened another thread here with updated screen shot… it’s unbelievable how many problems I’m facing, and doing nothing… just switching on and selecting Album (this time)… :tired_face:

Closing this topic, so Roon’s support team can focus on your new topic.

1 Like