1.8 has serious bug on Android

Well, that was quick. Same failure/bug this morning as before. Went to pause, then to home screen. This am, tapped the roon app, and got this screen, with boxes jumping around crazily.

As I said yesterday, nothing was fixed.

Are you having any issues grabbing a file in a playlist to move up or down (lanscape mode). Iā€™m struggling on my S6 to find the right spot to touch.

No, as you can see, I currently have only bizarre display junk on the screen. As I remember, when it was working, I just could scroll the queue up and down in the normal way with a touch and hold and move up and down. The Composer list was a little different - the active area is in from the edge a little more than I expected. Donā€™t know about playlists though. Donā€™t have any.

I normally use a mouse and keyboard, but even with those itā€™s hard, you really have to touch that little sq shape spot on, other wise you just scroll the page, not the track.

I just tried it on my phone, good god, you have to be a Jeweler with one of those magnifying eye pieces and hands of a surgen, haha, just donā€™t do this out in public, if anyone is watching, Iā€™m not sure what theyā€™ll think, but it canā€™t be good :open_mouth:

I think youā€™re in the wrong thread here. It looks like RickinHoustonā€™s thread is where this discussion should be. Iā€™ve got my own problems :slight_smile:

Where did this show up? Iā€™m in ā€œ1.8 has serious bug on Androidā€ and see RickInHouston two posts above mine, just above yours?

Iā€™m off today and not working, so it would be easy for me to do that, my brain is in do nothing mode:

Jan I managed to create this issue last night on my Pixel C (after our chat finished). Not sure if it is memory issue, Roon or Graphics driver related.
Iā€™m not sure it is a Roon issue, but there are Windows issues that were reported a bit similar so it could be.

Mike

Well, itā€™s nice to have some confirmation. I agree itā€™s difficult to figure out from what we have where the problem may be. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s a Roon issue, because 1.7 had no such problems at all. Itā€™s not likely to be an external network issue, because my iPad and my Macbook both have no problem connecting and work normally with the same Core. But what exactly it is between 1.8 and the tablet OS - thatā€™s hard. I hope that Roon gets in touch and we can run diagnostics to find out.

I was concerned that if your hardware didnā€™t show similar behavior, we were confronting a really difficult problem like a race condition inside the code, which would be dependent on details of individual tablet units. Iā€™m glad it looks more like thatā€™s not it. Whew!

Jan mine didnā€™t do it for a few hours so I will try again tonight.
It could be one of many things, but at least if we can reproduce it it give Roon something to work on.

Hi @dylan is this a bug you already have logged?

See the screenshot from @Jan_Martin above. I have been able to reproduce this issue as well.
Happy to do some testing if it helps

Mike

I got this very modern art screen a couple times today from Roon on an android tablet. Works fine for a while, then every so often goes whacky and has to be restarted. Never seen another app do this.

So I can easily reproduce this issue now by starting Roon and using it and then leaving the tablet (Pixel C) to go to sleep. Turn it back on a few minutes later and often it has a garbled screen that you have to exit the app and restart it to use it again.

Iā€™m not trolling you now I recorded these last night and had not realized that I had not posted them. Timing is everything :grin:
(It was a late night listening session that I picked up again about an hour ago)

1 Like

That is exactly the scenario I have tried to describe. If you run another app before you restart Roon, you can get an even more bizarre screens, more like what @sbr showed above, even animated sometimes. But all essentially useless for controlling Roon, and requiring killing and restarting to get it back.

Jan letā€™s hope they can pick this up and work out what the cause is.
@sbr what version of Android is on your tablet. 8.1 for me and I think Jan said the same.

I have not been able to reproduce this issue on my phone

Same tablet, pixel C with 8.1 as google abandoned it.

As an aside,

I used apple for years, then jumped ship when they started selling a $300 Apple Watch with $200 of gold on it for $10k (exact numbers might be wrong but the idea is the same).

But then google started abandoning devices after only two years, and price matching apple so I went back to apple, who do at least four years of support.

And sure the pixel still works but it hasnā€™t had a security patch in years and donā€™t use it for anything apart from browsing and roon.

Yes I strongly agree and it was the last Google phone/Tablet I bought (though I have a Chromebook Pixel for work) based on their performance and switched to OnePlus for my phoneā€™s
I dug this out of a deep hole just to test this out.
Slow as hell now but does work.

Back to my iPad pro that closes Roon down everytime I let the screen go off or decide to switch apps.

Mike

Itā€™s probably just trying to conserve battery.

From my phones battery stats today

Roon - 23%, 12 minutes on screen.

Itā€™s only being used as a remote,

Itā€™s a series of choices for designers with limited options for us userā€™s
Battery life over performance or performance with terrible battery life.

Part of taking all the option switches away

So is there any way to know if this is an issue Roon knows about and is working? Is there some other way to tell Roon support about this?