1.8 is a great update

Roon 1.8 makes discovering music more easy. And it shows us elder users how a GUI looks today. I wished SAP had started updating their GUI 20 years ago. Microsoft products show how quickly something becomes “old” if not cared for constantly. Thanks to that.
It seems as a lot of 1.7 installation “just” worked, but were actually broken already. So updating to 1.8 surfaced a lot of trouble that has nothing to do with 1.8, but a weak installation or stuff that did not work before anyhow. And that is echoed in the forum currently.
And some stuff like discovering an artist’s albums was just so working, and one got used to how it did work that every change breaks an old fashioned workflow that was based on a shaky implementation.

2 Likes

@Joachim_Strobel you touch on the age of the ROON users.
This has also been on my mind, and I suspect a significant portion of them is over 55, and that there exists a correlation with all the complaints about the GUI. i.e. older users are not used to the current trends in GUI.

I also like the new GUI.

I would be interested to know a bit more about the age distribution of the ROON population. (I am +60)
Does anyone have information about this?

2 Likes

I really do like the 1.8. Seems faster to me than 1.7

2 Likes

At 62 and a half, I’m loving Roon 1.8. Good to see issues raised in feedback are being addressed in a timely manner… Well done Roon team.

2 Likes

I am so happy that a scrollbar with the alphabet is appearing on my smartphone (also on windows) when scrolling the Albums. That was, for me, the biggest “issue” in Roon, which is now solved in 1.8.
Thank you Roon for the nice work.

2 Likes

I am 60 and at first was upset about the freshly introduced bugs but then started to like the new GUI.

2 Likes

61 and loving Roon 1.8

1 Like

I think there’s some bugs in 1.8 that will be taken care of in time, it was a massive overhaul. I personally only had about 1.5 weeks on 1.7 (newcomer), but 1.8 made the entire interface slick. There could definitely be improvements, but overall, it’s a great update! If there was a small amount of customizability with the typography and album covers (namely size), I feel as if many of the complaints would disappear.

1 Like

I have a Huawei P30 Pro and Roon fails to boot most of the time, it hangs on the black screen, pre update it hung on the white screen with a spinning disc.
Occasionally it’ll load.
My work ipad seems to be more compatible.
I’d post more thoughts but it’s not loaded enough for me to even have any!
All latest software.
Cheers.

I don’t like Roon 1.8. Too many bugs, iOS and iPadOS don’t work fine.

Everything was good with Roon 1.7 and I thought I would buy it. But I’m very happy I didin’t do it.

1 Like

Personally very happy with 1.8. Works fine on my iPhone, iPad and Win10PC. Nice to see that I can now see the screen in portrait view and not just landscape on the iPad.
Really enjoying the increased links it’s finding to widen my library.
The radio links look smarter.

1 Like
1 Like

I can appreciate someone not wanting to read the complaining/ negative threads. That makes sense. However, the complaint threads are vitally important in order to make Roon better. Avoid if you wish, just be aware of how vitally important those threads are.

Complaining comments/negative threads are fine, I have no issue with any of them. My previous comment was just kind of tongue-in-cheek, so it is kind of amusing to see some extremely emotionally charged responses, and I think it is not good for the blood pressure.

1 Like

Thanks for linking that poll about age. I hope the sample size will grow considerably.
The current result reflects what I expected: +50 represents way over 50% of the user base.

Don’t take those comments personally. I had to learn that the hard way.
Unfortunately, this form of communication has severe limits. Especially when it comes to conveying visual indicators. We +50ers are a bit handicapped in using all that emoticon stuff :upside_down_face:
Sometimes it is best to just start your own conversation instead of trying to win the mob over. That’s why I started a “positive” thread. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some posts have been deleted as they were becoming personal. Please keep to the topic.

1 Like

It appears to me that there are two types of posts and posters on this and other threads on both sides of the argument.

Thankfully, the majority of posts on both sides simply outline those aspects of the transition from 1.7 to 1.8 that they like or dislike, however strongly that like or dislike is expressed.

Unfortunately, there are a number of posts on both sides of the argument that amount to a sort of:

“I’m all right Jack - Yaboo sucks to you”

These simply raise the volume of antagonism and do no good at all! Thankfully, posts of this sort are very much in the minority.