I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Agreed. It now needs to catch-up with all the functionalities that went missing or are broken in1.8

2 Likes

Be sure to select “ ask before downloading software “ in the about section where the download reminder is found. Otherwise, Roon will update to 1.8 automatically on your Core.

I’m sorry you are having issues. However, not all of us are in your situation. I really like it.

3 Likes

Thanks Law_Hindle - I have already done that. My only casualty was my iPad app which downloaded automatically, but I have other devices I can use.

I doubt if 1.7 will stick around for long, so I guess I’ll have to move to 1.8 fairly soon in any case,

1 Like

It’s strange that no one talks about sound. For me, the sound became different. Not so natural and generally more popy. ROON initially attracted attention with its sound. Now there are questions. It’s just that the long-loved and familiar tracks began to sound differently. And this is not a taste difference. Distortion is heard where it was not previously. Perhaps it seems, but…

hmmm, maybe you are in the wrong thread. Try this one.

2 Likes

For me, the sound is exactly the same…

2 Likes

No problemo here… Works like a charm, little bit getting used to, but nothing to get upset about. I am running lifetime Roon core on dedicated HP DL380G8 server with Windows Server 2012 R2. Nothing else…! Couple of Cubox players in Totaldac systems and a Lumin U1. Using iPad as well as Samsung phone for remote control. Sometimes my Windows 10 PC… I have Qobuz high res integrated and 56865 tracks in 4589 albums of 2132 artists. 98% are FLAC between 44.1 and 96 kHz.

3 Likes

In a nutshell, what’s most distressing about Roon is that they seem bent on not giving the user choices with the software. It’s Roon-way or go away.

5 Likes

Would the wordings be far too strong?

10 Likes

Is it common to use roon as a one stop shop? Maybe a lot of the strong views, attachment/detachment (on both sides) are maybe to do with that. I thought most were using lots of different tools and players and just bits of roon.

Can we get Roon 1.7 back?
Please

5 Likes

what a nightmare that must be. Can’t imagine having to load different players just to play music. I’d characterise that as OCD bordering on insanity.

1 Like

Always has been this way, and frankly as much as it frustrates it’s one of Roon’s strengths not trying to be all things to everyone.

1 Like

To what end? What remains a gripe after the planned changes which have been communicated and will no doubt be deployed as soon as ready?

Replacing that early beta of 1.8 which was accidentally exposed to the crowds with the finished version of 1.8 will hopefully do the trick.

1 Like

1.8 forced me to take a closer look. I couldn’t get RAAT working with an older DAC so I abandoned that. I use HQPlayer for the filters, DSP and convolution. I use 3rd party editing and tagging tools for the library management. I use various websites and magazine subscriptions for discovery. I like roon for internet radio and for the local/Qobuz integration but when a search fails I often end up on Qobuz or Foobar and won’t bother switching back after that. Sounds like you have a more seamless experience.

Out of curiosity what DAC? Tagging I also do outside Roon, but for the most part I’m finding Roon’s metadata model has become a lot richer than I can reasonably achieve using file based tags so apart from unidentified albums it’s become moot … and I’d say was previously a “metadata groomer”. I don’t stream so Roon provides no discovery, but I’ve found twitter the best way of keeping up to date with artists I follow and also discover artists they collaborate with. Haven’t encountered any search failures, don’t often search for classical so may just be lucky.

Its an April Eximus DP1. Korean DAC. It works great with a SOtM USB card. I thought I could get it working with a SOtM SMS-200 Neo (another Korean company) so I could network it, but its 10 years old now and out of production and there will not be any Linux drivers. I’ve just gone back to the old USB connection. I have a Mark Levinson 5101 on order but that is UPnP so TBH I am not planning on RAAT with that either and it wasn’t an important decision point for me.

I personally find the software has really moved on since I was looking at roon a few years back. Streaming is really a game changer and has opened up a whole eco-system and lots of choice and niche apps. My wife likes French pop music, for example, but we couldn’t find what she wanted on either roon or Qobuz so from google we ended up on the universalmusic.fr website and found out they do great playlists you can cast to a lot of players like spotify and youtube. So we cast to youtube to get the videos. Its not high rez. To be honest I don’t know what it is but neither of us care about that very much. That’s what we are listening to now. I thought everyone mixed and matched whatever was to hand. But I guess I am wrong.

But you don’t need to be a mechanic. I’ve worked in IT a lot of years and the mechanics amongst us often have unrealistic expectations of the drivers’ skill sets.

1 Like