I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Click on the avatar to bring up the avatar box, then click on the avatar in the avatar box to bring up the profile page, then click on the Activity tab to see posts.

1 Like

Never knew that , I suppose I never needed it

1 Like

I don’t get your math. If 500 of 5000 active forum users complain, that already makes that 10%, right? From all those that are silent you will never know where they are sitting.

Look at that recent poll here where close to 1000 users participated. About half where not in the happy-camp.

Average those numbers and you are well within the 20% number I mentioned.
Go to the iOS App store and count all those 1 or 2 star votes.

Its not even relevant what exact percentage is not happy. The evidence is overwhelming that this update quite obviously went anything but well.

I like the fresh UI design. Let them fix all those bugs / broken features and we will eventually get there.

I am hopeful. I used to have to reboot daily (sonicTransporter i5); but, with 1.8, I haven’t needed to yet.

Working fine on Win 10 here. Backups too. Weird.

We are currently approaching 250k.

Every Roon user has a community account, but about 60k logged into this site ever.

We get about 100k users (inuding many anonymous and logged in) visiting and reading every month.

About 1000 users like a post or write post a day.

The vocal community is an extremely important, but extremely minor part of Roon users as a whole.

That said, this whole thread is a good example of the echo chamber.

Overall, we see this was one of most successful updates, with the least complaints and most signups.

24 Likes

Isn’t that offensive to the people genuinely feeling this was a poor update and backwards step?

I guess after the last major update over the weekend or was it the holiday period, this update was an improvement; anything would be an improvement.

2 Likes

If that gentleman (whatever-his-function-is in this company) is posting offensive posts and insults his users then what can you expect from that software? Alternative facts?

3 Likes

Oh please, work through this thread and it’s a handful of complaints, echoed over and over and over and over with your insults and jibes at Roon’s owners and staff thrown in at every opportunity for good measure.

I get that many are upset, but engaging in such a disrespectful manner achieves nothing. Personally I feel Roon have exercised great constraint with the likes of you. If it were me I’d have refunded you and told you to take your money and disrespect elsewhere.

14 Likes

I would say that about a thread called “I genuinely feel that this was a poor update and backwards step” that listed their grievances, but that’s not what I read above.

What is read is a discussion about the success of the release as a whole, for the company and all its users. I’m putting that in context of the actual numbers involved here. See what @evand said above – this thread is not the polite complaints you make it out to be.

7 Likes

There is a good summary of memory leak related issues to be found here:

1 Like

Unfortunately, there are a number of obnoxious, disrespectful complaints posts that raise the volume of antagonism and do no good at al l!!

5 Likes

In addition to the hostility and vitriol, there have been substantive complaints made about lost and deprecated functionality in Roon 1.8, particularly in the desktop version.

Will those complaints be taken into account if they are expressed in a calm and respectful manner?

6 Likes

That is a fair point, but looking at the first post, that appeared to be the intention of the op,

There will always be people taking the thread off topic to a greater or lesser extent, as it always happens, but that should not detract from the fact that this thread appears primarily to highlight the grievances as the op sees them.

I also note quite a number of other threads in the forum, which politely make comment about the backwards steps in the 1.8 update, so it is very good to hear that your business will hear their views, as they were put in a more polite way.

I wasn’t aware I was making anything out to be anything other than ‘some’ people trying to make a genuine list of issues heard.

3 Likes

If I had a problem with Roon functionality, I would post a request for help in the Roon Support catagory. If I had a problem with the new UI, I would post in the Feature Request thread.

3 Likes

Danny, thanks for your comments. Do you have a count on how many of your total 250k user base have downloaded and installed 1.8? That might provide a better perspective vs looking at the total user base in having a conversation as to how many may be having issues. If 70% of users have upgraded vs. 20%, the magnitude issues and comments on the community would cause one to come to two completely different conclusions.

The upgrade has been a frustration to me in terms of hours spent just trying get the core to connect, log in, select audio zones, etc. If there was any initial failure for me, it was not related to features, changes and design of the software as much as not being able to access any music streams and play music through the audio system and the trouble it took just to be functioning.

Lest weekend, I was finally able to find work arounds and stay connected and am confident you all will work out some of these things in the coming week. Now that I am connected, I am enjoying the new software.

You will always have people who like or dislike change. I think the challenge going forward from my perspective is how you complete an upgrade with as minimal impact on the ability to connect and play music out of the gate. I know there have been multiple conversations about how the software is beta tested, but I would think a more robust testing process before launch would help to identify more of the issues before launch.

I am a lifetime subscriber and happy to use Roon as my platform and am not going anywhere. Thanks.

1 Like

Of course. They will also be taken into account if they aren’t. They are currently being taken into account.

We, as normal humans, tend to not like to deal with “dicks”. However, that doesn’t mean we are spiteful and will ignore those who act poorly. We just won’t engage with them.

70% of Cores have been updated, but there are still people running 1.6 and earlier, so yah… mostly pirates though.

9 Likes

Well, first of all I have not „invented“ this thread title and said in my first post here (#27 I believe) that I would not call it that way. But, yeah, its a catchy phrase that sticks. Just like:

„Roon 1.8 is great“
or:
„Roon 1.8 is a huge success“

Would you like those threads to be renamed to ‚I genuinely feel this was a nice update and forward step‘?

Thats just getting a bit childish. You get catch-phrases everywhere. Have you looked at your marketing statements recently?

7 Likes

Errrr…I am not so sure. All I know is its completely unusable for me right now, because half my zones don’t appear without me having to restart the core each time. The fancy UI and everything else becomes inconsequential in context. How did this even pass testing?

2 Likes

Have you raised a support thread with details of your system and network?

1 Like