I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Lucky parents.

1 Like

And lucky hmack. I once left a rather nice Thorens with my father when he wanted a record player. On one visit a few years later I found it gone. Turned out he had donated it to a thrift store.

1 Like

Unfortunately, until Roon offer a customisation feature for theme colours and a means to select circles or squares, then the only solution is to edit files. The ‘Customising the Roon theme’ thread will tell you how.

Changing theme colours for either light or dark themes is relatively straightforward and relatively safe assuming you keep a backup of the original Roon file as a failsafe. However, changing artist circles to squares is a little more tricky & potentially dangerous. It involves editing a file called ui_atlas@1x-1.png using an an app such as Paint3D (on Win10). Details of exactly how to do this can be found on the ‘Customising’ thread.

One of the dangers is that you will potentially have to repeat this after every Roon build release if Roon have themselves made changes to the file as part of the build. If you attempt to use a backup of a previously edited file then you will risk serious problems.

1 Like

The disc number almost becomes irrelevant , in 1.7 all you had was the disc number , unless you knew where to look you couldn’t pinpoint the composition.

Now you can pinpoint the composition by Focus and Filter , its almost as if a Box is a massive collection of compositions , why is the disc number even important now ?

I have not heard from anybody or have overlooked any comment of not being able any more to navigate fast from A to Z - it takes quite a while to scroll down with the mouse while before in a second - do I miss out on something since nobody else mentioned it…
thank you for a reply which ever…

Please see

You know that you still get a “letter guide” on the right hand iPad scroll bar at least through your own albums. It’s not the easiest to see/use but it’s there.

Edit Sorry @Suedkiez , should have read the rest of the thread, I see you do.

1 Like

yes but only one-digit, which gives you a very rough landing in a huge collection.

Having two-letter guidance as in 1.7 would be more helpful ie. „BA“, „BR“ „DA“ etc…

1 Like

The number of a disc is a fundamental sense of a boxset. I need it in countless situations.

1 Like

Agreed, my collections pretty modest and it’s still not exactly a precision instrument. It does work better than my first 2 hours spent finger dragging until I found it.

I may be wrong but did the ABC in 1.7 not give you the option to also type three letters (or more?) if you knew you wanted to go directly to SON? I.e., just like the keyboard does on the desktop version?

But most likely better to discuss this in the dedicated thread and increase its post count for more attention :slight_smile:

I speak a few languages, some better than others. If I don’t understand a colloquialism in any of those languages, or if I misinterpret what is said, it is my problem. I don’t blame those speaking or writing in their native tongues for my errors.

1 Like

on a PC/Mac maybe. I dont think so on iOS. But dragging along a two letter indicator would be just fine.

I cannot remember … But in Android I never “dragged” along. On an Android tablet there was a bar with an alphabet bottom-left:

ABCD … XYZ

I touched, say, B. This opened another row of letters and I touched, say, A. This would then move me to the artist starting with BA.
What I cannot remember is whether I could touch again and choose C, so that I went to BAC. (as it works in 1.7 and in 1.8 with an actual keyboard on PC and I suppose macOS)

But yeah, at least two letters would be nicer. However, if I used the ABC bar to enter BACH, I still prefer to go to Bach, just like I can on the desktop with the keyboard keys… .

(While the filter would show me LaiBACH as well. Which can be useful, but, as we both know, is different)

1 Like

A pdf of the disks/tracks is still the only navigation option in many cases. I have quite a few boxes focus cannot help with unless I get around to tagging them. This is even more the case with streamed boxes from Qobuz (I cannot comment on Tidal). There are often a lot of gaps in the roon/Qobuz integration but manually retagging large streamed boxes is usually unrealistic. Roon does not really provide the tools.

So depends on use case. If you are a groomer and have already sunk a lot of effort into manually tagging a local library then focus may work for you. If you are not interested in tagging (most people), have a predominantly streamed library (most people) then box-set focus is a bit hit and miss at the moment and the disk number is still important.

Isn’t the use case you are thinking of a local library where there has been a lot of sunk effort in manual tagging? Most people are not going to do that

For downloaders, many box-sets are atrociously tagged by the labels. For streamers there are often gaps in the roon/Qobuz integration (I cannot comment on Tidal). Most people have no interest in manually tagging to plug the gaps (even on a forum like this is likely a hndful) to plug these gaps (especially in large boxes) so that focus can find the compositions in the first place. For many, a pdf of the track numbers of the box-set art is still going to be the best search option. I have several box-sets like this which I am probably never going to get around to tagging properly.

1 Like

slowly getting better … good that the dev teem reads here :slight_smile:
In this case another thing that bottlers me a lot - going in the artist page we first see a overview, where in the most cases at least me wants to see first the discography, choose what to play and then if and when i found it interesting i want to read something about author/singer.
Roon is first and for most a player, not a reading app … and that shouldn’t change. Its nice to have all this info, but we here because of the music.

2 Likes

There are plenty of Music Players out there, Roon is more than that. As I see it, it’s for people who want to explore their music, find relationships and associations amongst artists and get more from the music. Putting it all in context as we explore and listen.
Of course you can just play music, that’s fine… but there is so much more, because it is All About The Music…

4 Likes

I’m sure this is repetitive of others’, but the biggest issues I have are: (1) No longer shows which playlists a track is in, (2) track timeline on bottom is too narrow–go back to what it was, (3) search box is either too small or has been modified so that when I want to erase a prior search by pressing the X on the right side, it closes the whole search box. My fingers haven’t got that fat that fast, (4) it was nice when the screen showed companion/similar/alternate versions of the albums on the right side, (5) no longer see the tracks on the 1st page of the albums.

764: Excellent! Keep up the good work and high steam with new updates. But please dont explode!

Yes it does, but you need to turn this setting on now. Settings > General > Show Playlists on Album Page

1 Like