1.8 - what is the thing you most hope for?

Yes I realize that, it’s the time to listen to it all that’s the problem.

1 Like

Many would agree as I’ve seen the comment in other forums as well… for UI, the nod goes to Roon. For SQ, the nod goes to Audirvana. Roon SQ to me is very good and the UI is great. Audirvana has a poor UI but does sound at times more detailed. I use Roon more when I want to discover music or sift through artists and music rather than when I want to listen to a single recording critically. It just depends on your purpose for listening (and your system), but there is nothing wrong with anyone wanting Roon to continue to improve SQ.

What is “critical listening”? Just curious

This expression time and again turns up in equipment reviews, so I believe this is when a poor soul doesn’t listen to music anymore, but to the equipment…

14 Likes

Although Classical music is something that I have zero interest, at least the many improvements to it in 1.8 show that they are listening to the community (because I’ve seen many complaints about how Roon handles Classical). Hopefully these efforts result in improvements to all genres.

I’m still holding out hope for Roon Radio improvements such as less repetitiveness, more control over “tuning” it, and the ability to have the starting point be multiple sources (a playlist, several albums, a mix of genres, etc). It’d also be great to be able to combine 2+ stations into a single “mega station” that contains a random mix of songs from the parent stations.

1 Like

Also please expand the API. I would love to see more ability for developers to extend the functionality of Roon to add things that would never make it into the official app.

3 Likes
  1. Don’t forget my USB interface and all of its settings when I disconnect it from my laptop
  2. Connect to the “Now Playing” thingy in iOS
  3. HomeKit and Logitech Harmony support (without needing hard to configure extensions)

As an erstwhile audio engineer, I do “critical listening” for production, arrangement, mix, etc, not just the gear. Hard to turn off that part of my brain and it’s legitimately a big part of the way i enjoy music, but I definitely agree, it’s not the same as “just listening to music”.

1 Like

Eyes closed, but pants on.

1 Like

With Tidal and Qobuz now being included in the Focus feature I’d really love to have a way to set the track quality that Focus chooses. No more .mp3 in the que is the goal.

3 Likes

All I would like to see is Mobile Music Sync/Streaming… it’s been on the roadmap for 4 years and is offerred for free by Plex.

1 Like

Or like me, when you find yourself listening to music you don’t really like because it’s a great recording or high res DSD. :man_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

My advice… Don’t do that… Listen to the Music you wish to hear and enjoy in the best format available… That may even be MP3

Yeah for sure… just during this period of geeking out on my gear and tech setup (which also led me to Roon), it’s a phase… I’ll get back to my favorite over-compressed, poor quality masters from my fave 80s bands soon enough! LOL

3 Likes

Live is too short to drink bad wine or to listen to music you don’t like.

The dilemma: first you have to listen to it to decide you don’t like it.

3 Likes

There are so many comments I fear mine will be lost/wasted but FWIW, I will add my $.02 to the discussion.

1. As an audiophile, I prize good sound. That’s been my goal in putting my audio system together and it is disheartening to learn (and hear) a downgrade in quality between music played in my CD player and the same music streamed, this in spite of separating my music file in the Roon Nucleus from the computer and adding several gadgets designed to improve digital sound. So I would very much like to have Roon make an effort to equal CD quality sound.
  2. Roon Editor - An option to allow user edits to update user music files.
    Also, improve functionality and make the editor the equal of outside editors.
  3. An option to click or touch a letter from A to Z to more quickly get to desired music.
  4. An arrow option to click or touch to progress through pages.
  5. An option to attach notes to albums or artists.
    6.am option to edit album photos from tablet Photo Album
1 Like

+1 :slight_smile: - sounds familiar!

1 Like

+1 on this!

1 Like

Yes please, we have a mix of IOS devices and Android devices. The Android Tablet almost daily loses the Roon core connection, solution: 1/ flight mode, 2/ tablet restart and or 3/ combined with NUC restart are necessary to reconnect, a pain… :smirk: