1 Folder Shows Twice

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, 64 bit, up to date
Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.330GHz
8 GB RAM
464 GB SSD for C drive, which is where music resides.

Roon 416

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

No networking involved in this question, but whatever.
Roon core on Ethernet; connection on Gigabyte brand motherboard.
Connected directly to primary xFinity router, which provides one WiFi network and Internet connection.
(Speedtest: Ping 22 ms, Download 299.88 Mbps, Upload 14.23 Mbps)
That router also connected (ethernet) to Netgear Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router configured in Bridge mode.
Also a couple of ethernet switches, the main one being a Monoprice 8-Port 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Not that it matters for this question, but…
NAD Master Series M32 integrated amp, with MDC BluOS add-in module.
Connection is ethernet cable to the Netgear router mentioned above.

Also the speakers on the PC where Roon is running.

I didn’t notice any questions about things like Tidal. Besides rips to FLAC I subscribe to Tidal Premium.

Description Of Issue
I installed Roon during the trial, and told it to catalogue everything, but never got back to it. Now I have a 1 year subscription. This is literally the first I have touched it since having it find everything some weeks ago.

So I see lots of CDs I ripped. Fine. I filter on one Label, Telarc. Fine. I select one CD, Telarc Sampler Volume 1, 18 tracks. Fine. I click on Versions. It says 3 Library Versions. Looking at the three I see one set is and old MP3 rip.

The other two are FLAC sets. They both say 18 Tracks. They both say FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit. The second one only also says Dynamic Range (squiggly symbol) 17.
BOTH show the SAME PATH!!!
C:\Users\Roy\Music\NewRips\Various Artists\Telarc Sampler, Vol. 1
There is only ONE folder under Various Artists. They both point to it.

Why does my Library show a single folder with 18 FLAC files plus one Folder.jpg file as two versions?

(More strangeness with Abraxas (Santana) that I don’t even want to try to describe yet. I’m beginning to get the impression that confusion is par for the course.)

Thanks!

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

Many other ripped-to-FLAC folders show up twice, exactly as the above.

Have you tried Settings>Library>Library Maintenance>Clean Up Library?
It is possible that you may have inadvertently added some of this music to your library twice. Also, sometimes people may accidentally have (or had) two overlapping storage locations. Roon interprets this is as “you want two copies”.
Library clean up can help with some of these errors, as can showing and deleting duplicates. If there are lots of duplicates its often one of these two reasons.

Hi @RHinCT,

Can you share a screenshot of Settings | Storage?

Thanks!

Thanks!

I now assume the situation is that it sees both the Music folder and the Share set up against the New Rips folder within Music. Picks it all up twice, resolves the location from the share to the physical location, and so duplicates.

Currently showing Analyzing: 7289 / 8057.

Thanks!

Haven’t tried that yet. The three options offered all related to deleted or unavailable, not something I have that I am aware of. Maybe it fixes things not listed, but I am holding off on this one for now. Still finding my way about.

In Album view, select Focus>Inspector>Duplicates
It will show you all albums you have more than one copy of.
Then, still in that view, Focus>Inspector>Storage Locations and click your inadvertent storage location. You will now see the set of albums located at that location which have a duplicate of. Right click the album, select edit at the top and the last selection on the album tab is delete. You and multiply select albums, and delete them.

Of course, you can just disable one whole (inadvertent) storage location through settings.

Hi @RHinCT,

Yes, the New Rips folder is located within the Music folder which is already accounted for above. If you remove the second watched folder in the screenshot things should be resolved for you.

Resolved. I just removed Music from the list of storage locations, leaving only the share NewRips.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.