2.5” ssd for music storage

I have a NUC7i3BNH with M.2 128gb ssd. I just put in a second 2.5” ssd for internal storage of my files. This already had files on it but reading here I expected it would be reformatted. How do I connect to this drive and add music (assuming it has been reformatted). Via my network on another PC, I can see the ROCK but not the second ssd. What am I doing wrong?

Browse to the IP address of your nuc. There you will get a GUI which should be self explanatory.

Thanks! Apparently, the NUC’s IP address has changed since I installed it. Lol. I’ll put my sleuth hat on and try again.

\\ROCK\Data\Storage\InternalStorage

That SMB location will get you access to internal content. Or you can drag/drop your files onto Roon.

Had to figure out the IP address as it changed from the original. Also, took two attempts to format the 2.5” SSD. I did a drag and drop from my PC. A few files had too long file path, and didn’t copy. Otherwise, all good and I hope to never again have Roon fail to find my files.

Don’t need the IP address. Just copy/paste the string in Danny’s above post into Explorer/Finder and save a link on your Desktop.

A few files had too long file path, and didn’t copy.

@danny Unfortunately there is the such problem (“File names too long…”) in Windows. In my opinion it would be necessary to reduce the number of subfolders to store music files (for example: \ROCK\Data\Storage\InternalStorage -> \ROCK\InternalStorage) to exclude this issue when copying.

…or you could just drag the music onto the Roon app and let it copy, instead of using the share. No more Windows nonsense then.

1 Like

What is Roon app?

from where?

The drive was not recognized. Plus it needed to be formatted. Can either of these be done without the Roon website?

Yes, this is the error message i saw. Seems to be only a handful of albums and ones that I almost never listen to. I’m not motivated to fix the problem.

I don’t understand that, either.

I had to edit the file names - to reduce their length. :frowning:

It is very uncomfortable and very slow when I need to copy or move my library from the old NAS to the new the NUC ROCK. :frowning:
May be better to modify (shorten) the Internal Storage folder path?

The Roon app, the one you use to use Roon! On a Mac or Windows machine, just drag the files from the computer’s file explorer/finder to anywhere on Roon.

That’s a bad solution as it only helps for a few characters.

1 Like

My remote is an iPad, so I guess that means I have the Roon app. But I’m a PC man. How do you “just drag and drop to anywhere on Roon”? The iPad environment has no way that I know of to see the other files or storage on the network. Is there a good place to learn about this?

You can’t drag and drop on an iPad, as far as I know. Danny specifically said “on a Mac or Windows machine” - i.e. traditional PCs. None of this newfangled iPhone/iPad nonsense. :grinning:

I assume you have a mac or pc that you are using the copy files to the share in the first place… install Roon there.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.