2 Peter Wolf mixed up [Resolved - you can manually edit artist images in Roon!]

I’ve got 2 Peter Wolf mixed up in my library.
One is a member of mothers of invention and credited to many franz zappa albums:

the other is:

and in my library is wrongly assiciated to frank zappa albums.
note that the artist picture is the same in roon for both.

-no edits in roon on my side
-in file tags, in some FZ albums there is a Peter Wolf credited in tag personnel.

Hey @Niccolo_Terzi

This one appears to be an issue with your local library as well. Peter Wolf (of the J. Geils Band) isn’t displayed for both artists in our Metadata server. Please see screenshots of our native metadata for these artists below.

I suggest making a manual edit of the incorrect artist image in your local library for the Austrian Peter Wolf.

Here’s how you do it:

• Go to Peter Wolf’s artist page and click the ellipsis button
  • Click edit
  • Find the Photo section
  • Click add image
  • Find the preferred image on your computer
  • Click Save
  • Your preferred Peter Wolf image is now set as the artist image!

The problem is not the picture (it’s a problem but yes, i can edit).
The problem is that the secon PW is (in my library, yes, but the library is created by roon software) credited to zappa records, instead/together with the correct one.

There’s a couple of options available for dealing with this.

1. You can submit a metadata correct request directly on the album page at AMG using the submit corrections link.

2. You can manually edit the credits/composers information in Roon.

• Click the ellipsis on the album page

• Click edit

• Click Edit Album

• Scroll down to CREDITS and then COMPOSERS

• Remove the incorrect Peter Wolf affiliations by clicking it to delete

• Click Save

That should do it!

Please understand that I can empathize with the frustration you have with seeing incorrect metadata displayed in your library, Niccolo. I have an extensive background in music archives and information science, so I know how important this information is and understand your desire for it to be correct.

But, many times when I search our index, the errors you’re reporting aren’t present there. What that suggests is that you have made myriad metadata edits to your file tags over time that have helped to facilitate the metadata issues you’re experiencing. It gives me no joy to say that.

We’re not simply putting the blame on you as you suggested in another thread. I’m merely reporting the results of my metadata search. We want our metadata to be correct, that’s why we encourage these reports. If there’s bad metadata information in Roon (and there is, we know that) please do let us know.

Additionally, our metadata improvement efforts are focused on system wide fixes. We don’t have the ability to jump into the metadata and make prescriptive changes. The information belongs to our metadata providers and we have to coordinate with them. Because of this, making a manual edit to the album in your Roon library is often the quickest, most effective, way to address these metadata annoyances.

option 1 is useless for 2 reasons. the first one is that, as you pointed out, the metadata are correct. and then? the second reason is that i’ve tried it MANY times to report to allmusic, and i’ve never received any answer, or any correction.

option 2 is not always a solution. it can be in specific cases, and I do it sometimes. but you know that it can be time consuming (you have sometimes to make the same edit at album, at track and at composition level…). and you also know that if (for any reason, for example if you forget your edits…) you try a new identification of the album… you loose every edit you did.

i’ve not made “myriad metadata edits”. i’ve just put the (roon suggested) TAGs like work, part, section, composer, personnel (with roon accepted roles).

i can agree that maybe “metadata issues” is not the proper classification. but if it is not a metadata issue, it is a roon software issue, being incapable of matching file tags with correct metadatata.

back to the topic.
i have a peter wolf credited in file tags. but this performer is not associated to the correct (according to roon metadata) peter wolf.

i want to add that i need to tag the files for the simple reason that most of roon metadata are (for older albums) only at album level, and not at track level.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.