2008 Mac Mini overheats and shuts down when using Roon [Solved: place MacMini on a side for airflow]

I know that the last entry on this was 10 months ago. I have isolated why my Mac mini is overheating and shutting down is due to Roon. I have the Mac on WiFi and no access to ethernet. I 99.99% screen and I have around 10 albums on hard disk that are not on the streaming services so I don’t know why it is using such high CPU and GPU - there is nothing to analyse!

Has anyone had any success with this.

I was thinking of upgrading to an M1 Mac mini - has anyone done this and did it improve their issue?

Maybe You like to give more info on the Mac model and specs

It’s a Mac mini (2018)

Processor : 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i3

Memory : 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Graphics : Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

And what version of roon and os are you using?

macOS Big Sur 11.4

Roon Version 1.8 (build 806)

Probably best you open a new #support thread and wait for support to chime in but also show some screen grabs of cpu/gpu graphs when the issue is happening.

Roon still analyses any albums you add from a streaming service , just the same as local ones . Are you adding from your streaming service?

Yes - I use Tidal with Roon.

Thank you for your suggestion. For the record I bloody love Roon and this is the only issue I have had.

Hello @Mark_Beech,

Sorry for missing your post for this long :sweat:

I’m sorry to hear about the trouble with your Roon Core. I’ve looped in our technical team so they can take a closer look at what might be causing this.

In the meantime, could you please let us know whether the issue persists?

We’re thrilled this is not influencing your love of Roon :heart_eyes:

Hi Rebeka,

I am pleased to say that the overheating issue seems to have corrected itself.

I moved the Mac mini onto it’s side to get better airflow and this seems to have worked.

Mark

1 Like

Hey @Mark_Beech,

Appreciate the prompt response and tip. I’m marking it as a solution for now, but, if anything changes, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Enjoy the music + Roon :musical_note:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.