24 bit not working

Hi. @support

I have installed ROOn on my MacBook Pro, but I have a problem. When I am playing 24 records the on my LINN Acurate network player the music stops, then playing, then stops and so on.

This is only on 24 bit (after a while) but not on 16 bit. What is the reason for this?

Hello @Arnt_Berg_Rognli,

Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue, can you please let me know if this same behavior occurs on other zones or is it just on the Linn Acurate zone?

How is the Macbook Pro and the Linn Acurate connected here? Are you using the Linn as a network player or USB output? Is the Macbook using a wireless or ethernet (hard-wired) connection? Is there any change in behavior if you connect the Macbook via Ethernet to your router as a temporary test if it’s on WiFi?

Thanks,
Noris

Hello Noris.

I am only running Linn Acurate zone.

I am using Linn as a network player.

I am only running on wifi. I have tested it with ethernet with the same result.

I think this can be something about the settings on the Roon-app? In the beginning when I plyed music 24 bit there was no problem. Also no problem with 24 bit playing from Qobuz.

Hello @Arnt_Berg_Rognli,

Thanks for letting me know that info. Can you please try outputting to “System Output” on your Core and let me know if the same behavior occurs? Also, do you only experience this issue while streaming files from a service (TIDAL/Qobuz) or does this same issue occur when streaming local media saved on a hard drive?

Thanks,
Noris

Hello Noris @support

Now something strange happened. Now the Linn Akutate also plays 24 bit music perfect. I have not done anything specific. Why is this happening?

The wifi speed is measured to b 36 MBPS for download and 7 MBPS for upload. Is this ok?

Hello Noris

One question: When I play one album for instant : Joe Lovano: Trio Tapestry I now can play in 24 bit, but only 44 khz from TIDAL tag. From QOBUZ tag however I can play this with 96 KHz. What can I do to play all 96 KHz also as 96 KHz from TIDAL?

Hello @Arnt_Berg_Rognli,

Can you please post some screenshots of what you’re seeing, especially the Signal Path information?

You can use these instructions to upload screenshots to Community. I am not sure what you mean by only 44kHz from TIDAL tag, are you using the focus feature or where are you seeing this value?

Thanks,
Noris

Hello Noris.

When I stream the same album (for instant Norah Jones) from TIDAL I only get 48 kHz/ 24 bit on my LINN screen. The path on Roon is shown here:

The same album in Qobuz gives 96kHz/ 24 bit on my LINN player and the Roon path is shown in here:

Hello @Arnt_Berg_Rognli,

In your first screenshot it appears that the file is MQA encoded but in the second one there is no MQA encoding which is why you are seeing this behavior.

As far as I can tell the Linn Akurate is not an MQA decoder so you will only get the info that TIDAL sends “on the wire” which is 48kHz/24-bit. For Roon to perform the first MQA unfold (so that your output will be 96kHz/24bit, you need to activate Roon Core Decoder.

To do this, right-click your Linn Akurate DAC named “Stue” in the bottom right-hand corner (next to the volume icon) and press “Device Setup”. Then in Device Setup click “Advanced” and set “Enable MQA Core Decoder” to Yes. After that, try playing the track again and look at the signal path to verify that Roon is performing the first MQA unfold from 48kHz -> 96kHz and then the Linn display should also display that info.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Thanks Noris.

I already had “Enabled MQA Core Decode” to YES when I sent you my screenshots.

Hi @Arnt_Berg_Rognli,

Can you please provide a screenshot of your Device Setup for the Linn Zone? You can access this information by right click the device picture (bottom right - next to volume icon) and press Device Setup. Please post a screenshot of the information you see, including the advanced section. It should look something like this:

Thanks,
Noris

Ni Noris.

Here is the screenshot of the device setup for Linn Zone:

Hi @Arnt_Berg_Rognli,

As far as I can tell from the Linn manual, the Akurate does not have MQA support so you’ll want to set the MQA Capabilites to “No MQA Support”, press save and try starting playback again.

– Noris

Thanks Noris.

I have done this and now this Norah Jones album streams 96 kHz/ 24 bit from TIDAL, but 192 kHz/ 24 bit from Qobuz? Why this difference?

Tidal is MQA and roon is doing the first unfold to 96 but Qobuz is delivered as 192.

So this is ok? So if I want more than 96 kHz/ 24 bit I have to change to Qobuz?

@Arnt_Berg_Rognli

Not sure if it is “OK” but it is the big difference between Tidal and Qobuz.

Tidal’s offers MQA encoded albums as a higher resolution option to CD Quality. If one does not have an MQA capable DAC then the highest bit rate they will see at their DAC is 96 24. If an MQA capable DAC is used the data Roon sends to the DAC can be rendered to higher bit rate. Note that some MQA encoded albums have a maximum bit rate less than 96 24 but most are 88.2 / 96 24 or greater.

Qobuz offers 96 24 and 192 24 albums as higher resolution options to CD Quality. If one’s DAC can play 192 24 then they will get that bit rate for albums that can be streamed at 192 24. It’s my understanding that not all Qobuz albums can be streamed in 96 / 192 24 and that for some they have to be purchased in order to stream at 96 / 192 24. I also understand there are currently some issues with how Qobuz albums are labeled resulting in the impression they can be streamed at a high resolution when in fact they cannot. Qobuz and Roon are working on this issue.

In addition to the format each uses for their higher than CD Quality offerings there are also differences in their libraries ( what albums they offer ) and cost.

If streaming at 192 24 is important to someone then they need to evaluate both services and decide which offers the best service for their needs.

Please note that I am not a Qobuz user so my comments are based on what I have read on this forum.

Tim

Thank you for a very good explanation, Tim. Thank you very much.

The I conclude that I will run my TIDAL as before even if the maximum bitrate here is 96/ 24.

Last question:

Can you give me a reasonable explanation on the following.

When I am running 24 bit from TDAL/ Qoubuz even if it is 48 kHz/ 96 or 192 I still have some stops and starts when I stream the music. Why. My WiFi speed is approximately 35MBTS download and 10 MBTS upload. I do not understand this. Sometimes it work fine for several hours, but sometimes/ some day it does not work at all?

@Arnt_Berg_Rognli

Glad my explanation made sense to you.

I have seen many reports of stops and starts when streaming and my impression is that there can be many reasons for this behavior. Happy to try to help but no guarantees.

Lets start by describing your network and Roon equipment in more detail. Here is how I would diagram my setup.

Internet ( 150 Mb down / 12 Mb up ) -> Netgear Orbi Router ( Gb Ethernet ) -> Roon Core ( Gb Ethernet ) - Pi 3B+ ( WiFi ) -> Dragonfly Red DAC ( USB ) -> Denon Receiver ( Analog RCA cables )

My Roon Core runs on a Windows 10 Intel NUC with 16 GB of RAM and a 512 GB SSD

I can play all Tidal MQA content and the few 96 / 192 24 albums I own with no stops and starts.

What does your system look like?

Tim

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.