24 to 16 bit conversion on Bryston BDA-1 DAC

My core is running on a headless 2014 Mac Mini, macOS Catalina, and the Roon build number is 475, version 1.6.

I be sure to run the core on ethernet, and I get my internet from Verizon Fios, taking advantage of their gigabit internet service.

The Mac Mini is hooked in to a Bryston BDA-1 D/A Converter via a Audioquest Forest USB-A to USB-B cable.

I have noticed on both Tidal and Qobuz that certain songs will be downsampled from 24 bit to 16 bit (see screenshots), thus not giving me lossless playback. We all have obviously paid a lot of money on Roon, Tidal/Qobuz and our systems to be sure we are getting the full capabilities out from them. I checked and rechecked that my DAC is capable of 24 bit playback and, unless I am completely missing something, am sure it is capable of it.

I have also been sure to check my audio settings and from what I see, there is nothing that should be making Roon downsample the stream. I took it off of Exclusive mode, as I saw others do, and that still did not correct the issue.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Bryston Specs:

• BDA-1
  • Design: DAC
  • Decoding: 24 Bit, 192 kHz
  • MFR: 20 Hz – 20 KHz, -0.1dB
  • S/N: 140 dB Unweighted
  • THD plus N: .002%
  • Output Level – 2.3V Unbalanced – 4.6V Balanced
  • Dimensions: 1.75″ H x 17″ W x 11.25″ D
  • Weight: 12 Pounds

Core%20Info|690x431

Please share a screenshot from Device Settings including Advanced.

Hi @Douglas_Mead,

As Martin suggested, a screenshot of Device Setup would definitely be a great start here.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.