3 DACs to one Roon Bridge?

OK, here’s one I haven’t found elsewhere:

I recently set up an SOtM sMS-200 (hard to keep those cases straight) to use as a Roon bridge/endpoint, connected to my Core (MacMini running Roon Server) via Ethernet. That’s in the office, while the audio equipment is in the living room.

I used to have another Mac Mini as the bridge, feeding three different USB DACs. Because it accepted multiple USB cables I was able to switch between three DACs, according to whatever worked best with the source: 1) Schiit Modi Multibit; 2) iFi Zen (MQA); and 3) Maverick TubeMagic D2 (which only handles up to 24/96). They all have distinct qualities and it’s fun to match different combinations with different amps, speakers, and DACs.

The Problem: The sMS-200 has only one USB output. I tried using a USB hub, for the DACs but had no luck because Roon couldn’t find the DACs when I did that. Could I set up a Raspberry Pi as a bridge/endpoint and plug the three USB DACs into that? Any other ideas? Thanks…

I played with 2 DACs on a Ropieee RP4 bridge, worked without a problem.

1 Like

The sMS-200 has got one USB dedicated to Audio, but will accept DAC’s on the std issue USB ports also. However, it’s software will only allow one audio path at a time. So, you must go into eunhasu.local config, under Roon and select which DAC you want to use.

That said, a std issue Raspberry will do the same and ALSA will find all compatible DACs and present them to Roon simultaneously. It will not sound quite as good though.

1 Like

RPi works fine with multiple DAC’s but maybe best to use RPi 4 and LAN with ropieee is what I recommend

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I will tinker some more. In my previous set-up (with a now retired second MacMini running Roon Bridge) I could switch DACs by choosing them within Roon, by activating the appropriate Zone. I’d hate to have to open up eunhasu.local in a browser every time, but I’ll see what can be done.

Just a thought…was the USB hub you tried powered or not?