30+ year CD collection gone!

Again, thank you @ToneDeaf for your offer.

This caught my eye on eBay

Check out the postage. Lol

Been discussing the issue with the wife repeatedly and shared different emotions such as

You silly cow
It was an easy mistake to make
I’m utterly devastated
I want a divorce
Come here for a hug
You might have done me a favour, it’d take months to sort it all out

I might start collecting vinyl now. That wound her up. Lol

I’m feeling at ease with the concept they’ve gone. I’ve been allowed to have my music on non-stop since this happend. I’ll guilt trip her a little longer I think.

3 Likes

Them job lots! :sweat_smile:
My 500 CDs wouldn’t get anywhere close I guess - but anyway, it sounds like you are doing the more sensible thing by not looking back.

Mind, I still occasionally stare mournfully at the picture taken from a skip some 10 years back, with on top of a lot of junk my ‘cherished’ box of mix tapes that had moved with me across three different countries and at least 7 different homes - long after I had nothing to play it on. It was the right things to do anyway, but yes, I started buying vinyl again :man_facepalming:

Keep enjoying the music!

2 Likes

I know there has been lots of advice.
Here’s my 2 cents of advice:

1. The secret, AFAIK, is to accept the fact that you did not listen to them for last 6 years. You did not need them

2. Your life was and still is full and meaningful without them.

3. You have gained extra space in garage for all the new collections of Vinyl

Cheers
PS No use crying over spilt milk

3 Likes

Kids moved out, house too large, getting too old to maintain it. Downsized to a condo. Best thing we ever did. Got rid of my muscle car, most tools, toys, etc…including donating hundreds of CD’s. I had burned them, but don’t miss the physical discs at all. Now we pay one check a month for all the headaches. We travel a lot. I use Roon/Tidal/Qobuz for music which is my new passion. I love this setup.

2 Likes

I get that. But, in many countries, you must keep a physical CD if you are going to keep the ripped tracks…

Yes. Including the United States.

Not in the UK. Not that anyone listens or takes notice. But, thankfully that was changed in 2014.

I think that would be incorrect:

You still have to keep the CDs if you want to rip them in the UK. Many people rip them and sell them, but then subscribe to Tidal/Spotify etc so why bother.
While technically illegal no one does anything about it

I was not aware of these laws which are relevant to your unhappiness. Thank you for letting me know. The reason for my comments was to offer a different perspective and I might have altered them had I known.

1 Like

We are just an unhappy nation overall at the moment.
Owning CDs is the least of it :grin:

8 Likes

It was changed back to be illegal in 2015.

I am not a lawyer but I am an author, and have had to learn something about copyright.

Let me say that in my opinion, copyright law has not caught up with the digital world yet. In addition, law is largely (wholly?) subjective; it depends on what a number of judges and juries have decided in the past, and on what cases prosecutors or civil action attorneys have decided to pursue. Not very satisfying for the objectivists in our crowd.

It’s always a copyright violation to make a copy of a copyrighted work without authorization from the copyright holder. But the chances of being called on it are vanishingly small. The holder has to sue, a civil suit, and such suits are entertained in the US only if the copyright holder has explicitly registered their copyright. In addition, the plaintiff has to demonstrate damages from the copyright violation. Furthermore, the defendant can plead several mitigating factors, the most useful (yuk, yuk!) of which is “fair use”. I’m not aware of a “personal use” exception, however. Maybe that’s a British thing?

So, such suits are usually brought only if the user has committed an egregious sharing of the copy (selling it on to lots of other people for lots of money), to make a point (prosecuting Napster), or if the user has deep pockets (is a successful company, for instance).

Note that, as I understand it, this is different for CDs and DVDs. DVDs are protected by nominal DRM, and breaking such DRM is seen to be a violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act in the United States. Beware!

Again, I am not a lawyer. This is just my sense of things based on discussions I’ve had with copyright lawyers.

2 Likes

Haha, I am 61, ready to retire next year. I sold the drag race muscle car, still have an 86 Corvette I want to get rid of and downsize my home. In 2018 I retired my 1992 Carver audio gear and seriously upgraded because of HDMI, I was being left behind. I never want to turn a wrench again. My focus is music, Roon coupled with my 1200 ripped CD library, Qobuz and Tidal are my lifestyle now. I’m with you Ted!

2 Likes

Well if nothing else has come out of this, I’ve made a speedy raid on the garage to find the boxes of cassette tapes of comedies and similar that I had kept in boxes across multiple moves, found a restored cassette deck on Gumtree, and can now start digitising them before he who must be obeyed does something similar.