30+ year CD collection gone!

All my physical media is ripped or digitized and backed up both locally and in the cloud. It would take some kind of apocalypse to lose it.

1 Like

I am well prepared now.

2 local SSD/HDD backups
1 cloud backup
And soon
1 off-site SSD backup.

2 Likes

Finally know why you have visited every charity shop in the UK…:heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

It’s true :rofl: almost

1 Like

I had completely forgotten that you were the OP.
But it has been quite the journey we have been on with you, as you rebuilt your physical/digital library back up to a manly size :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

Some genres of classical excepted for obvious reasons :grinning:

Give you wife big hug (… as no ill intend). Enjoy the make-up music. Console your self that only 500 CDs you would have listened too again anyway!? and 5,500 are now space saving for the Fam home!

(have ripped approx 5,000 CDs myself … defo not heard most of them as new material is downloaded (paid-for) as the music journey moves on!)

This is the reason I don’t have a wife! :smiley: joking

I’m still in the process of ripping my entire collection of 1000s of CDs to my Synology NAS.

After this years long project is completed (copy + scan + edit) I will retire (give away) the originals.
I have no need for a physical copy. Proper digital copyt on hard drive is superior to a plastic medium with digital. Along this process I’ve realized that some (very few) CD’s have something called laser rot.

2 Likes

I hope that you are living in a country where you can do this. Some of us live where it is necessary to retain ownership of the CDs for legal reasons. I’ve got large boxes sitting in the attic… :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

The situation is worse in the UK. Strictly speaking, it is still illegal to rip CD’s even for personal use and even if the CD is retained.

There was a change in the law introduced in 2014 which made it legal to “make one copy for backup purposes” but that law change was challanged and reversed in 2015 so we are back to ‘its illegal to make any copy of copyrighted material’ :frowning:

The 2014 rule change was, relatively speaking, well publicised. The 2015 reversal, however, went by completely unnoticed and so many in the UK still erroneously believe that it is legal to make a copy for personal use.

1 Like

And many donate their collections to charity or sell them once they have done the ripping to create space.
Not sure anyone has gone to court over this though.

True enough. I suppose it’s a question of:

1. Discovery (it’s not easy for an outside agent to discover such a ‘crime’)
  2. Cost of prosecution (burden of proof etc)
  3. Small size of any likely award on successful proscecution.

Personally, however, I would always retain the physical CD’s. At least then you can claim to be within the spirit of the law if not the letter of the law.

1 Like

One more reason to stop buying physical media already.

Was it legal in the UK to record TV shows on VHS or DVD-R to be watched later? That would constitute copying copyrighted material for personal purposes.

No. Again strictly according to the law, using a VCR (or modern PVR) to record TV programming is illegal. Similarly using a cassette deck back in the 80’s to record radio programs was illegal (and the modern equivalent still is).

However, there is a tacit understanding that, when done purely for personal use, and not in any way distributed or commerciallised, it is OK and will not be proscecuted.

In the UK there seems to be a very big difference between what is strictly illegal and what will result in a proscecution (if/when discovered).

Edit:

I believe that the authorities accept that:

1. The law is lagging behind modern consumer use patterns
  2. The cost of enforcing the letter of the law would be exhorbitant because if you proscecute one, you have to procescute all and that just isn’t practical.

Interestingly, even though it was illegal to record TV programmes back in the 80’s and 90’s, the Open University used to boadcast much of it’s educational programming in the middle of the night with the explicit idea that those on the relevant courses would record the programs on a VCR and watch them at a more convenient time.

Go figure!

1 Like

If I recall correctly, it was legal to ‘time shift’ - in other words, to record a programme to watch later when it was more convenient, but not to keep it beyond that, or to lend to others.

About twenty something years ago I read an interview with a broadcasting executive saying that it’s not ok for people to go to the loo during ad breaks, because by not watching the ads they are essentially stealing the content, and that something would have to be done about this terrible behavior

1 Like

And something was:

IMG_1047

1 Like

I guess this may work better:

I wonder how many cassette and RtR recorders were used for “original” recording , my guess not many

1 Like