Roon interface issues on a large Roon library (860k tracks - MacOS Catalina)

I have 860k tracks and still 50% of my artworks are missing. very very slow everything on the 1.8(884) on mac/catalina example the searching is terrible slow and displayed the previous searching about 10-20sec. Many times i cant listen roon, because it is not playing just only skipping tracks

1 Like

Every day i restart or log out/in the roon and after that i can use couple hours. By the way its terrible and unusable :(((((((

Hi,

The Roon @support team prefer one topic per customer’s issue… so they are able to track it and focus on each individual problem. hence I split out your topic.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup and the nature of the issue using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they have a clear understanding of how your devices are connected.

Thanks @Carl I already discuss with @dylan and i sent

I am using :
Macbook pro CTO 16" i9 8core 64GB AMD 5500M 8GB macOs Catalina (my friend told me Big Sure is even worse, so i didnt updated).
Networking : ZTE ZXHN F660 and Apple Airport extreme with cat7 cable
Now i am using Wadia 321 dac via chord silver usb cable, but i am searching for the best price/quality high end streamer (Lumin x1? dcs BartĂłk? Mola Mola)
863.321 + Roon’s skipped (10.000) tracks on 4 external HDD-s (55TB) via thunderbolt3 connections.

I am using -try to use- Roon (1.8) since 06.08. 2022, but every day freezes and i have to force quit. I thought my library is too big so i started to delete the duplicates and the albums with lower bit rate. But always roon tries to add more tracks(are they the skipped tracks??? - i dont want to delete them, because other app can play them) and the metadata improver is stopped with red exclamation mark after couple hours and the indicates in settings/gen: there was an error checking for update. My net is 1000Mb if i measure it is between 800-900Mb.
When i edited/deleted some albums doesn’t play the tracks just loading and skipping track by track (sometimes plays the last track of the album) but i could edit the album, sometimes rescanning is helping.
Usually if the blue circle rotates Roon did not play the music. I suffer with it, even with the most powerful MacBook Pro ever made (now i am waiting for the newest macbook pro M1 max 64Gb) though they consider the world’s best music program …I think the problem is the identifiering. Its indicates working, trying to find something, but not find anything just is spinning (most tracks unidentified).
The 882 and 884 update killed about 50% of my artworks. the try to loading and skipping tracks issue still exists always shows the network problem. If i log out/log in than roon works perfectly about 20minutes to couple hours.

Other music app as iTunes/Amarra/Audirvana plays perfectly and find the tracks very quickly
Its very annoying and frustrating because i am listening music about 8-10 hours per day and now i couldnt with Roon.

thanks
Akos

skipping tracks : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij9ttf4jfq2e5rg/roon%20is%20skipping%20tracks-.mov?dl=0

@support Please check my problems above thanks
Best regards
Akos

The blue circle rotates always. My albums 70% unidentified. I checked now (again) the internet speed :its 874Mb/s / 325Mb/s but the Roon communicates the server only 2-8 Kb/s!!!

@support please check my log files:

RAATServer logs 2022:

RoonServer Logs 2022:

Many thanks

Hi @akos_szablya ,

Thanks for sending those logs over! Looking through them, it appears that your Mac is running out of resources (specifically file descriptors) and this is leading to the behavior you see.

The issue here is very likely the library size that you are trying to use (at a staggering 860k tracks), for libraries of this size, Mac or Linux is not suggested. Please see our recommendation regarding libraries over 250k tracks here:

Largest Libraries

If you have over 250K+ tracks in your library, consider us impressed! You’re among the top .01% of Roon users, and you have a library most of us could only dream of.

With libraries this large, we expect the right hardware will work, but it’s definitely not something that we test with in-house. Your best bet will be to get a beefy Roon OS or Windows setup (we do not recommend standard Linux or macOS Cores for this) with a fast new CPU and plenty of RAM.

I know this does not resolve the issue at hand, but if you wish to keep using your Macbook as the Core, you would need to trim down the number of tracks by quite a bit.

If you are unable to use Roon at all, you can reinstall it by using these instructions, restore a backup, reduce the number of tracks, and then perform a library cleanup (Roon Settings → Library → Clean Up Library).

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
1 Like

Hi @noris

Thanks your answer. Its not too good news, i am not too happy. So i am waiting for the new macbook pro M1 max 64Gb. What do you think how many tracks should i delete?
Bests

@akos_szablya, macOS will be more suitable for large libraries when we release native support for the M1/M1x chips.

This work is in progress. For now, I don’t think the bigger Macbook Pro will make much of a difference, as the limitation is less about the speed of the machine and more about how Roon runs on a mac.

With a huge library (yours is in the 99.94th percentile among Roon users), you should really use an always-on, dedicated core with lots of RAM, ideally running Roon OS, but Windows would be OK too.

On a laptop, Roon will take a long time to start up, and consume a lot of RAM. It will diminish the overall experience of using the laptop for other things. For extreme configurations like this, Roon was really meant to run on dedicated hardware.

4 Likes

It’s truly none of my business, this is your set-up, but I have a library a fraction of your size, and following Roon’s advice and moving to running ROCK on a NUC was the best decision I made. Turned Roon into far more of an appliance (meaning that it is just “there” - it works, and I don’t think about it), which is what I wanted - to focus on the music.

2 Likes

Thanks @brian
I am looking around what will be the best option for my library, but i am a little bit confused how will be enough a Rock with i7/16Gb Ram if not enough i9/64Gb Ram now…?

Roon uses different infrastructure on macOS vs Windows/Linux, and it comes with a scalability and performance penalty. This happens because Roon is built on Microsoft’s .NET technology and Microsoft has been very slow to bring .NET properly to the Mac.

Microsoft just released the first version of .NET that allows for desktop applications on macOS a little bit over a month ago, and we are working on moving Roon to their new stuff. When that is done, macOS performance should be just as good as Windows/Linux.

The effect of these infrastructure differences is much larger than i7 vs i9. Roon’s user experience is most influenced by single core performance, and i7 vs i9 is rarely more than a 10% difference from the same generation, and often much less.

I suspect that 32GB of RAM is enough for your library. 16GB probably is not. 64GB definitely is. Once you have enough RAM, extra doesn’t make much difference.

At that point, sure the slightly faster CPU will make a small difference. The real problem with running Roon on a laptop is that it will hog the resources of the laptop and have to compete with other software. On a dedicated machine, things are almost always more comfortable, even with slightly less hardware performance.

4 Likes

I see
Thanks @brian again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.