5k song limit still not fixed

I guess because they are there so why not. And I have yet been given a reason why it can’t be done. And there was no limit before

If you are using a truly random shuffle, you might hear the same song twice in a day, or the second play may be months or years after the same play. I’ve had both happen to me.

That is true. Can happen with 5000 tracks or 70,000 tracks, but probably less likely with 70,000. But again, how much, if any, effort should Roon devote to this?

If I’m shuffling, I don’t even want a queue. When the song playing is 20-30 seconds from the end, Roon should just randomly pick a song out of your library, and play it next. That way, If I add stuff to my library, the new stuff has a chance to be selected.

2 Likes

With 70,000 it would be 1/14 the chance of the 5000 track library. And Roon should not put much emphasis on this at all. It’s not something that is broken at all, just a change. Roon should focus on all the problems like compatibility, performance (starting & stopping, freezing, etc.) that prevent someone from using the software, even if Roon isn’t directly the cause of the problem. And I don’t have any of these issues (and am 99%+ satisfied), but just want everyone to be as satisfied as I am.

1 Like

Shuffle IS choosing from all 70,000 tracks, just putting only 5000 of those choices into the queue. Still not sure why somebody would need to see all 70,000 at once in their queue unless they were planning on not touching the software for six months.

1 Like

You are echoing what I have been saying all along!

1 Like

This new shuffle works, but there are some minor quirks that can be annoying.

When it dumps 5000 random songs in my queue, I can still easily scan ahead a bit and filter out those songs I’m not in the mood to hear by removing them. The only difference now compared to 1.7 is that I get a much bigger list of songs in the queue, where before, only the current song was in the queue along with anything I approved through the thumbs up/down preview or had manually added.

The minor annoyance is with adding songs now. Part of my shuffle experience is the subtle joy from the surprise of the next song. I never knew what might play next and it was rather exciting in a certain way. Oftentimes a song would play and it would lead me to discovering more music or wanting to play something similar. Before, with only one song in queue or only short list, it was easy to choose to play a new song next or add it to the end of the queue. I could go through and select 3 or more new tracks to play, and in a specific order. I could play song A next followed by these 4. With the queue being 5000 songs now, I can either play a new song next, or toss it to the end where it will play in 10 days.

If I dump them all as play next, then I need to go move them around if I want to hear them in any order, or I have to think backwards and select the last song I want to play, and work my way toward the song I want to hear first as I add them all to play next. A minor quirk, but a minor quirk that just manifested itself after a couple of years of using something that was working rather well for me.

If the 5000 songs are effectively random and would potentially select anything from my library, I’m ok with that option. This is especially true if these 5000 tracks have no duplicates in them, which I suspect is the case though I have not researched this fully.

I have noticed that I no longer have any issues where a Tidal or Qobuz streaming track is unavailable, where it cleared out my entire manually curated queue after skipping the song. Fixing that problem greatly trumps these new minor issues that annoy me.

I don’t like it. Also, you can add to the 5k playlist by going to all tracks or albums to get another 5k. But, those new 5 k tracks are once gain in alpha order. So no solution still. They need to go back to shuffling The Whole library and get rid of 5k limit. And Roon still has not answered on why a 5k limit. So disappointed with Roon

1 Like

Shuffle shouldn’t be in alphabetical order at all (mine isn’t). Perhaps you have something else going on?

this is what I was assuming, too.

Seems like a perfectly sane way for it to behave.

1 Like

Ok just checked again. Since updating to 764 that does not happen any longer. Still, 5k limit has to go

1 Like

Still not sure where it is putting the additional 5 k songs in the queue. If they are mixed in or at end

Checking out. I just want to listen to some music

1 Like

I have 121k tracks to listen to in 7 days… gotta go