7i7BNH USB to Yggdrasil - No device config

This reply assumes the use of Mac OS for running Roon Core. Perhaps they used that to test Roon. You are using ROCK, which is based on Linux, so it is very different at the OS level.

Since they tested it to be functioning normally, this might imply a ROCK/Linux incompatibility. However, there are other users using it with ROCK fine. So this remains a mystery.

Hey Peter,

I got the same exact failure on three different machines running three different operating systems (NUC, Dell laptop & MacBook Pro running Linux, Windows 10 & Mojave). All three combinations behaved the same when attempting to enable the Yggdrasil and all three logged similar error messages in the raatmanager log files.

So that was the reason I was attempting to find out if the advice he was giving applied specifically to the Yggdrasil that was in my possession or if this was just general advice that had been used in the past to solve a more commonplace problem encountered by other users.

It’s hard to believe that none of the attempts I tried could get the device setup to appear on a USB port that “functions normally”. But unfortunately I have no way of proving that conclusively without more information. All I have is intuition. So I agree that for now it remains a mystery.

At this point I’ve moved on. But I was hoping to post a definitive resolution for future buyers if possible.

True, I’m one of them. But I used an endpoint. Is there anyone else out there who went direct to Yggy from ROCK via USB?

Yeah, I’m with you, endpoints all the way. I don’t keep my server anywhere near any music equipment. I’ve always heard the Yggy’s best interface was the AES/EBU.

I purchased a Modi Multi-bit to get a “feel” for the Schiit multi-bit sound, and it is very nice; however, the Modi goes into NOS mode if fed a 192/24 signal and I’ve been surprised to find that for some types of music I prefer that.

Sadly, in all my DAC searches, my conclusion is that different genres sound better played back through different DACs and by different formats. Which means I either need multiple DACs, or, I have to “settle” on a mid-ground.

@Darryl_Caillouet On Windows 10, it depends on which drivers you used. Native Windows 10 drivers have never worked for me with Schiit gear. I loaded the Schiit USB Audio Gen 2 Driver which should give a WASAPI option in Roon, the Gen 5 Driver would probably do the same. Using WASAPI, you can go into Audio Device settings > Advanced > and force Roon to use 24 bit depth. As shown below, although I have mine set to 32 and that works with the Modi I have, but you can set the dropdown to 24. Also, I needed to enable Event Mode for it to work.

iFi Pro iDSD might be more satisfying.

BTW - I complained up above about some flaws in this DAC. I’ve come to terms with them and can now re-recommend it.

@Rugby Thanks for the info. Hopefully the information in this thread will be useful to a future Roon/Yggdrasil user. For someone like me who still has a lot to learn, every bit of knowledge or awareness of caveats will serve me well moving forward.

I tried using the Schiit USB drivers a couple of weeks ago in post #15 above, but the Schiit installation package would not recognize that the Yggdrasil was connected via USB and would go into an endless loop.

Several people had mentioned settings that might have worked and I had read about some of these solutions in my earlier research. The problem I had was never being able to get to the Device Setup form you provided a screenshot of because the Yggdrasil would never enable and so the only option I had available to me was “Disable”. So the rhetorical question is “How do you setup an audio device in Roon without going to the Device Setup form you listed?”. If the answer is “You HAVE to use this form!”, then you’ll get an idea of the Catch-22 dilemma I was dealing with.

Yeah, I’m with you, endpoints all the way. I don’t keep my server anywhere near any music equipment.

One of the things that is not always obvious to someone who recently started at ground zero (me) learning about streaming & media servers is the nuances and pitfalls of the various connections. Without more experience & technical knowledge of the advantages of the various protocols, the idea that a digital stream would be improved by increased distance (e.g. remote Ethernet vs short USB) or the addition of another device (e.g. using a commercial streamer) is not always intuitive.

But this is just the initial steps in a long-term project that will see incremental improvements as time passes. I definitely see rearranging, refining & additional purchases in my future. All of the help I’ve received on these forums has been much appreciated.

@Darryl_Caillouet

Did the Yggdrasil you sent back work via USB with other audio programs on windows just not roon?

If so I wonder if something has recently been broken in Roon with new device polling related to the Yggdrasil. It could be possible owners that already had the Yggdrasil added as a device might not experience the same issue.

1 Like

@DrTone - The only situation I could get the Yggdrasil to work was directly from Windows 10 where the operating system recognized it as an option for an audio output. So I could use Groove, Media Player, YouTube, etc. to stream music to it as long as I didn’t use Roon.

All variations of Roon apps (Linux, MacOS & Windows) would throw a device init error in the raatmanager log file and get stuck with an endless “Enabling…” message and a “Disable” option as the only possible response.

I was just trying to get some music to play through my equipment in the simplest way possible for burning in & setup. But I didn’t want to use my Dell laptop and Windows 10 as my source because that’s my work machine that I was just using for testing to try and determine what worked and what didn’t. I probably could have bought additional equipment and reconfigured my setup to get it to work. But Schiit’s habit of not responding to emails and their avoidance of answering specific questions that would have helped me made me nervous about keeping a piece of equipment that I couldn’t determine was working correctly with a 15-day return window closing.

1 Like