Roon Core Machine

Innuous Zenith mark 3

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Orbi

Connected Audio Devices

Library Size

13000 albums

Description of Issue

My library had 13000 albums yesterday morning. A couple of hours later it had 5000. I’m trying to figure out what happened to the 8000 missing albums and how to recover them. The albums came from three sources-Qobuz, Tidal and cds I burned on my Innuous server. The Innuous is backed up on an external hard disk but Roon is not backed up.

Same happened to me. There was a similar problem with Qobuz in June. Something to do with servers according to previous thread then. I have lost about 50% of my Qobuz albums overnight. Hopefully will be rectified by Qobuz/Roon soon.

I hope this problem has not returned with a vengeance!
Fingers crossed it is isolated cases right now.
Hopefully yours will return soon!

Not looking good though…

@support

2 Likes

I know it’s obvious, and please ignore me if you have already done this, but presumably you have logged out of your Tidal and Qobuz accounts in Roon, rebooted core and endpoints, and logged back in to your streaming accounts in Roon?

Hello @Stephen_Brown,

Thanks for letting us know of this right away. Sorry about the trouble.

Would you please use the instructions below to share a set of logs with us?

Uh oh! Not again! :confounded:

Hey @Stephen_Brown,

We’re just as eager to see what might be causing this and want to make sure we can solve it asap :zap:

We have reason to believe DNS errors are causing this. Could you please change your Router’s DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS.

Is there anything else to try here as my ISP does not permit change of DNS on the provided router?

Better rethink your strategy!
Keep a cheap external disk to let Roon regularly, or manually if you prefer to have control over it, backup its database - and keep as many backups as that disk can take.
This is the only way to recover your database additions and edits in case of a corruption.

1 Like

The lack of a Roon backup isn’t for lack of trying. My Innuous is backed up on 2 separate external hard discs. But Roons backup function doesn’t recognize my external hard discs. The only backup.option it provides is Dropbox. I’ve been reluctant to use Dropbox because of the cost for the storage room I would need. Maybe I should bite the bullet (although it’s a little late now).

Hello @ian_mcloughlin,

It might be worth clearing your cache:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Find and open your Roon database
  • Navigate to Roon/Cache
  • Move the contents of the /Cache folder elsewhere, like your desktop
  • Try restarting Roon and verify if the issue still occurs

Hey @Stephen_Brown,

Sorry to hear about the difficulty in backing up: do those external HD show up in Roon at all? How are they connected to your Roon Core?

The external hard drive is connected by usb but it doesn’t show up at all in Roon. It does show up on the core (Innuous Zenith 3) and I can back up the CDs I’ve burned on it but I haven’t been able to back up Roon.

Any progress in solving the problem of disappearing albums on Roon? I’ve spent literally dozens of hours locating and saving 13000 albums and now 8000 are missing!

Thanks have tried but in the meantime all of Qobuz favourites have now gone from my library. Qobuz support say they have ‘escalated’ the issue so will wait and see what transpires.

This sounds like an innuous OS issue perhaps.

Hi @Stephen_Brown — I just followed up via PM.

Thanks. I’ll do it later today. Also I found someone who can help change the router dns as rebekah suggested (for a price). Should I still do this?

Hi @Stephen_Brown

I’d recommend doing so, yeah. Even if it isn’t the cause of what we’re seeing here, those errors were pretty frequent and you’d like see increased performance (even outside of Roon)!

I did what you requested.

The number of albums under my albums now shows 6878–another decrease—but the number under home shows 7134. I don’t understand what’s going on. In the past these numbers have been the same.