96khz WAV not playing in exclusive mode over HDMI

The file will play when exclusive mode is turned off. My chain is Mac Mini HDMI -> Marantz SR6010 Receiver. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: The files will play in exclusive mode over optical output from the Mac Mini -> SR6010

HDMI video handshake issue?

AJ

I should have added this information. Regular ALAC and FLAC files play just fine over HDMI exclusive.

Are all of files the same Bit Rate?

Hi @Kevin_Dunn ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. Both are very appreciated!

I would like to make sure I am understanding this issue correctly. From your report you are having problems when playing WAV files (Alac and Flac = no issues) @ 96khz with exclusive mode “on” via HDMI out of your Mac Mini into your Marantz SR60100 receiver. The same content will play successfully with exclusive mode “on” while using an optical connection between the Mac Mini and your receiver, correct?

Moving forward, may I kindly ask you to please provide the following information to help aide in my evaluation of the behavior above. Please see below.

1. Can you please provide screenshots of:
  • The device settings your are using in Roon for the SR6010.
    (Settings - > audio - > click the “gear” next to the Marantz zone - > Select “device setup”)

• The signal path leaving Roon when you are noticing this issue.

1. Confirm how your musical collection is being stored/accessed.

-Eric

I have attached the photo of the Marantz zone which is simply the HDMI output. The only setting I changed was the toggle for exclusive mode. The receiver will play any of my high resolution files if I connect my Schiit DAC to the Marantz. However, I currently have the Schiit DAC connected to my Schiit AMP. My chain that does not work is 2014 Mac Mini -> HDMI -> Marantz SR6010. The files are stored on an 8tb Western Digital external hard drive. Anything 96khz or higher while in exclusive mode via HDMI does not play. 96khz files will however play over optical. Thanks for any assistance!

Hi @Kevin_Dunn ----- Thank you for following up with me and providing the requested feedback, both are appreciated.

I would like to do some testing in house to see if I can trigger the same behavior you’ve reported here and would like to kindly ask you for the following:

1. Please provide one of the WAV files that you are noticing this issue with via a dropbox download link in a PM addressed to me.

2. Please reproduce the issue, note the time when the observation is made, and then use the instructions found here to send us logs.

3. When I test with your materials I want to have a clear sense of what I should be “looking out for”. In light of this this, can you provide some further insight into what the failure is like? Do you receive an error message? Do you hear something?

-Eric

I’m just giving up on playing the files over HDMI. I’ve switched back to using the Schiit DAC and it has been working perfectly with no issues. Thanks for the help.