A Metadata Goal in the Flesh

Here’s a rather typical example of how Roon mishandles meatdata:

RoonShareImage-636994095742995829

Notice the “credits” on the bottom which say only “Dexter Gordon” Primary Artist - there are no other credits shown and this an “identified” recording.

Now in the file tags under the “artist” field, which is a track level field, as opposed to the “album artist” field, I had manually entered the following: “Dexter Gordon; Al Haig; Pierre Michelot; Kenny Clarke” before I added the recording to my music library. Okay so I add the recording to Roon and Roon identifies the recording and “updates” the metadata AND now the metadata is worse than if the recording had remained “unidentified”. This is just one example of how Roon mishandles metadata.

And of course there is also Roon’s rather lame handling of lyrics,which I complained about here:
Lyrics

Please do not take this to be anything other than constructive criticism of Roon, for there are many, many things that Roon does extremely well, but if we want Roon to keep on getting better than we need to point those areas that could use some improvement and by golly metadata is one of those areas.

2 Likes