A NOOBIE's Perspective on ROON and things that need improvement

I went into the configuration settings for the device in ROON and set the buffer to 4,000 milliseconds, and that seems to have helped the situation. I am still testing it though so not sure if it 100% fixed the issue. Sqeezelite works perfectly and doesn’t drop, but I think the RAAT format sounds best so ideally I would use RAAT provided it doesn’t keep dropping the connection.

1 Like

Are there any tutorials on how to setup and use HQ Player?

I currently use J River for batch upsampling to DSD. But that’s actually converting the files and not upsampling during streaming.

I set it to 4,000 and so far so good. I need to let it run like that for a few hours and see if it drops the connection.

1 Like

In general, the audio streams used by Tunein are no different from the ones we use in Roon. In this case however, I see that Tunein had a 128kmp3 stream that we didn’t so I’ve added it and also took the opportunity to adjust the other two streams we offer (including a 96k aac) which were possibly not being selected by default. Try now.

As I said, the streams we offer should be just the same as elsewhere because they ultimately all come from the same audio server. However, sometimes we miss one - please let us know if that happens or if something seems wrong by posting in #live-radio and we’ll endeavour to fix it.

3 Likes

Jolly good, the processing of library is very intensive as it scans all your files and is making waveforms for dynamic range illustration, and gathering all the metadata. Dependant on library size and machine and your priority settings for it in Library section this can take hours or days to complete. Glad it’s settled down now.

Also bare in mind any tag changes that alter files set of Roon’s whirring again , I made some tag changes yesterday the took a couple of hours to chew :joy:

Good thing. Yeah, I have my opticalRendu set at 0 and it never misses a beat, but my microRendu 1.4 which only runs the Bridge app to my Naim UQ in the office I’m at 4000, up from first 500 to 2000 where I thought it fixed it but then had a skip so doubled it and seems stable now.

1 Like

KUSC only provides 96kbps, 64kbps, and 32kbps streams in MP3 and AAC formats.

We managed to find one that is 128kbps MP3, but it’s probably similar in quality to the 96kbps AAC.

What FLAC stream of KUSC do you have? We have a section here on our community for adding new streams.

Another thing to note, “Roon Radio” is a stream of tracks made of your own music and tidal/qobuz content. “Live radio” in Roon is the internet streaming radio stations like KUSC.

1 Like

Yeah I think that fixed it. Now the ROON stream sounds alot closer to the TuneIN stream coming from my NAD receiver. Thanks!

it looks like a bunch of your issues were resolved and maybe some were not… want to edit your original post and move the resolved items into a section at the bottom with the resolution, and then we can look further into your feedback that was not resolved?

Of course. How do I edit my original post?

@Brent_LeVasseur, any thread that you write has an edit button next to it and you can edit it and change as much of it as you want.
It all happens in place and helps anyone else looking at it later.

1 Like

reload the page and look again for a little pencil next to the flag icon – i think the forum software is not giving you the option due to your noob status :slight_smile:

I’ve artificially bumped you to a non-noob – maybe that’ll help.

1 Like

Sorry Brent, I forgot that has to be granted after a short period of time, my bad.

Ok done! The post has been edited.

1 Like

Ok one other thing I just noticed is that ROON can’t play .m4a files. I am wondering why not?

Roon plays m4a files just fine. Are you sure you are not trying to play one of the old iTunes files that are copy protected, which do not play in Roon?

DSP is mostly single-threaded per zone (there are exceptions for DSD, and multiple zones can use multiple threads). However, if you have a multiplier of 21 times in signal path, your conclusion of single-threaded DSP being your performance bottleneck is way off. That number is explicitly telling you that less than 5% of your CPU is being used on DSP. If you were bottlenecked, that number would be closer to a multiplier or 1 or even lower than 1.

I don’t know enough about what you were playing (format), to what (endpoint), from where (source of content), in what manner (DSP, zone settings, MQA stuff, etc…) to make an educated guess on why you were stuttering, but if I’m correct in assessing that you are using an M1 Macbook with Rosetta, there is no way it was DSP (unless you had something like DSD512 going with crazy number-of-taps convolution filters).

It’ll happen. There isn’t a performance issue here at all with Rosetta, so we’ve not prioritized this to the front burner.

We need Apple’s support to do this. There are many threads on this site about the topic. I’m not going to awaken this idea here, so I’ll just leave it at that.

I’m glad you are enjoying Roon. It’d be good to figure out your stuttering in a #support topic, and the rest is on the radar.

Have you spotted the Monthly sub option ?

The 2 week trial is fine but for something as complex as Roon it barely scratches the surface, I extended for a Year to better evaluate , now you can do it by the month until you take the plunge

Happy listening

From my perspective, ROON is pretty simple as far as apps go. It’s primary function is to catalog and play back music, unless I am missing something. I think in 3 days I was able to get a pretty good sense of what it does and how it does it. And compared to the other apps out there that are designed to do the same thing, ROON is way ahead on most fronts. But the good news for you ROON forum fan boys who are rushing to its defense is that I plan to subscribe and keep using it. So you can relax! :slight_smile:

1 Like