A thread to actually celebrate Roon and no doom and gloom please!

Roon helps me enjoy my library in ways I never experienced before. I not sure if I can live without their software now, their bar seems higher than any other music library management software. Also I’ve state elsewhere that I’ve worried about them not being a music service provider and being dependent on other company may hurt them. The opposite is also true, I love that they are not tied to a Music Label and must promote what it is they want to sell. They are able to clear that selling clutter and allow us to find and hear what we need.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: The truth still counts.

Thank you for taking the time to explain. I will give this a try at my next opportunity.

1 Like

Nice topic @AceRimmer.

I agree, it’s been a good ride so far. Even the very few small issues I’ve had have either been resolved by me, someone from Team Roon, or by the great advice and intentions of fellow forum members. It’s nice to drop by here and see what people are listening to, see pics and comments about other rigs, and try to pay forward to others when they need help, all the while happily listening to Roon on one of our many endpoints. I dig it.

4 Likes

This… :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up:

The few minor issues i have had all caused by myself were resolved by some very nice members contributions on these pages.

Thanks to all!

3 Likes

All software has its issues, which includes bugs, UI/UX deficiencies, and the people that use it.

That said…

Roon is without a doubt the best software application I have ever licensed. I simply can’t think of another application that I have enjoyed or used more in my lifetime.

3 Likes

I am gobsmacked by how good Roon is, purple and all.

5 Likes

Understandably people focus on their own issues with Roon and some say 1.8 has been a failure etc. However, how has it been for the product that is roon?
Given the vast swathes of new users with their first post on the forum in the past few weeks, many of whom have Nuclei, it seems to have been a rip roaring success.
The roon mentions of subscriber numbers in forum responses have changed from 100k to 250k plus.
If a few disgruntled users leave, I think that is bad for them as they lose the best music/equipment access software there is; but it’s a blip for Roon.

If I don’t add a new album or a new musician every time I settle down with Roon I’d be very surprised. Sometimes driven by Roon, sometimes by the community.

I’d been into digital music since mid nineties and tried all the major, and some minor, players. I’d lusted after but could not afford sooloos so signed up day four on roon release. It’s got better on each release. The moaning is a constant but my music drowns it out :wink:

9 Likes

I am actually quite heartened by the number of positive posts and experiences on display here.

Will be very glad to get home tomorrow to fire up the rig and use Roon again.
Qobuz on my laptop speakers in a hotel room is just not quite the same… :laughing: :laughing:

4 Likes

That’s why I use an AudioQuest Dragonfly DAC plugged into my laptop and Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones when away from home. I bought a lifetime subscription to Audirvana to use with Tidal and Qobuz.

1 Like

Yes I have a dragonfly and some Bose cans that are wired or bluetooth but as i have to wear ear defenders all day while at work the last thing I actually want to do at night is wear more earphones…lol
I do use the dragonfly from my phone and the bose on the flights to and from work though so like later today they will get a workout

2 Likes

I’m running Roon ROCK on an i7 NUC, I have 4 wired endpoints and 5 controllers installed on 2 W10 PCs, 1 Android table and 2 Android phones. I had zero issues or problems with the 1.8 upgrade, it went as sooth as silk. Everything works as it should after the upgrade. Would I go back to the 1.7 GUI? In a second!

1 Like

Roon is still the best music management software out there. I was doom and gloom and angry about 1.8 - until I could create my own subdued colors and font theme that is. 1.8 was actually almost unusable for me - it induced immediate eyestrain and the beginnings of a migraine - which of course it wouldn’t do for everyone - but did me which also induced a gloom and doom attitude thinking that I won’t literally be able to use this piece of software I’ve invested so much in (on the hardware as well as software side of things). Thankfully that’s played out not to be the case. Plenty of other things that are a buggy mess but not showstoppers to actually using the product for me - I have my own ways outside of Roon to discover new music as it is and no huge classical box sets to concern myself about. :slight_smile: And in my setup it’s been more stable than 1.7 with no upgrade difficulties like before.

My hope is that Roon has potentially learned a few lessons about balancing overall usability vs trendiness when making changes moving forward. Perhaps widen the base of beta testers to include those more highly critical or with accessibility issues.

Stopped using Roon a few months ago - despite having taken a yearly subscription. In part because it had become so sluggish to login - something I resolved today by clearing the database and doing a fresh install. Prior to this, it was rather good at musical discovery but mainly within your own library. It simply did not make enough use of Tidal and Qobuz’s libraries. It was good but not good enough to use as much as I have should. However, the newest update - unexpected for me - has resolved all of these issues for me. To now click on one of my albums and find that Roon is using Tidal to make recommendations is a revelation. It is now managing subgenres, in metal especially, much better than it did and making use of them for recommendations. There are other changes I like also. I feel like a child on Christmas day.

Introducing a monthly sub, in these worrying economic times, is also a wise and welcome move.

Thanks to the Roon team. I will be resubbing.

5 Likes

Even the huge box sets are partially resolved with the new improved Focus tool

See

4 Likes

I have bought lifetime subscription and cannot complain. It has changed the way I listen to classical music for the better. Love it!

3 Likes

Another lifer here. Roon is central to my enjoyment of music, has enhanced it enormously and fits as well with my use case as any software I have ever used. No regrets and well done to the team for quickly reinstating some aspects of 1.7 that were missing at first.

3 Likes

Yep. Enjoying a cruise through some jazz at the moment. Nothing better than Roon for a musical journey. Go with the flow…:laughing::+1:

4 Likes

Absolutely no complaints here either, lifetime subscriber and just gone down the NUC route for serving several endpoints faultlessly. Of course there are changes that not all of us are agreeable to or suited to but I am more than happy that Roon still remains the most complete and uniquely configureable music app available. If only Discogs was integrated for the perfect metadata experience. I can but wish.

3 Likes

Said it before and I’ll say it again. Great product. No problems with 1.7 and I like 1.8. Have let Roon meander off playing stuff on occasion, some of which piqued my interest and has led me to new artists.
Only problems are dropouts courtesy of my telecommunications provider. Software runs on its own ‘brick’ pc perfectly. A combination of wired and WiFi end points are trouble free. So if I don’t post a lot it’s because I’m listening to music​:grin::grin:

5 Likes