A very good machine to run ROCK OS

I did put some black tejp on the front covering all usb and power button, also put on some feet.
I connected an SATA (from laptop) Panasonic blu-ray/dvd/cd unit for ripping, works great!

New cooling fan is only slightly quieter than the original. I don’t think it’s bad enough to worry about though - ambient noise is enough to mask it.

I’ll be using silver Light Dims to cover the front ports. Not a perfect match, but close enough.

1 Like

Samsung sell an 8tb 2.5" ssd drive which can be installed in the elitedesk.

This is an interesting a helpful feed. After a lot of research I’ve purchased a G5 mini with 9500T in it and 8GB RAM. It comes with a 250GB NVME drive but I’ve got an existing 4TB Samsung 870 Evo that I plan to add to it.

The suggestion from a lot of people actually seems to be that the versions housing the T series chips tend to be the better option as they run cooler, are typically quieter, consume less power and still provide more than enough performance for things like Roon servers and Plex servers. Since they don’t have perforated top covers they can fit in cramped spaces without heating up components around them as the airflow in these models only goes from front to back.

One thing I would be interested to learn is what benefits have people observed using Roon ROCK over Roon Core on these units?

Hi, Curtis! I have an old Intel Mac Mini that it’s not of a use now and I was thinking to install Rock OS there and use it as a Roon core instead of my current iMac Pro. I heard the performance in general is much better with Rock and also ARC is working properly with a dedicated Rock OS computer, now ARC performance from my iMac Pro is a little bit disappointed.

So, two questions: How is your experience in general with Rock OS in your Intel mini Mac and the second question would be, did you find a tutorial to set and install Rock OS in a Mac Intel Machine?

Thank you :slight_smile:

I didn’t run ROCK on my mini. I thought about it, but decided the easier route was to use the HP EliteDesk 800 g3 mini that was just collecting dust. My 2 mac minis are dedicated servers for other services (Channels and Plex).

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I’ll try to install it in this old mini mac, just as a test to see how it works but yes, the easier way seems to be get Rock OS installed in a PC machine. We’ll see.

Thank you again! :slight_smile: