A white square with a red “X” appear on the screen

Hi
I have similar issue starting yesterday.
My roon core on W10 PC doesn’t start anymore, a white square with a red “X” appear on the screen but quick disapper and stop.
Really appreciate any help

Toni

Hi @Tonino_Cerquoni

Please try each of these steps, and try to launch Roon after each.

1. Reboot the Windows machine
  2. Reinstall the Roon app
  3. Disable the devices firewall
    1. If this helps, please enter an exception in the firewall for Roon and RAATServer
  4. Uninstall and reinstall the graphics drivers directly from the manufacturer’s website
    1. Don’t use Window’s automatic driver updates for this — We’ve seen this cause issues in the past
  5. Download .NET Framework and reinstall it

Next Steps

If none of the above helps, please use these instructions to send us Roon logs from the device.

We’ll also want to take a look at Event Viewer logs, which give some insight into errors being reported by the OS — Please send those as well:

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log… from the context menu
  5. image
  6. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  7. image
  8. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as… from the context menu
  9. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save

I had this same problem. The issue was McAfee Real Time scanning. It would find a virus in one of the Roon files at every launch of Roon 1.8. I never could find the file in Roon that McAfee complained of to make a virus exception in McAfee. My solution therefore has been to turn off McAfee Real Time Scanning every time before I launch Roon. Once Roon is launched, I turn back on McAfee Real Time Scanning and both Roon and McAfee work normally thereafter. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Hi Dylan/Respe,
Thanks to your suggestion I understood that the issue was dut ro my AVG antivirus that I had to replace with other antivirus since I was not able to set AVG to skip Roon.
Anycase it seems that now Roon start properly and issue is disappeared. I Will check on next days.
Thanks very much for your suggestion!
Toni