AAC file not shown up in Roon

Symptom: The AAC file not shown up in Roon

Core machine:
CPU: intel J3160
DRAM: DDR3 8GB
System Disk: SSD 256 GB
OS: Linux archlinux 4.20.8-arch1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Feb 13 00:06:58 UTC 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Core version: 1.6 build 401 stable 64bit

Environment:
a CentOS PC with samba server enabled as a storage connected with GbE to the core machine. The player a COS H1 DAC connected to the USB port on another Roon server.

The problematic AAC file can be downloaded with dropbox link:

File information from Mediainfo:

• Format: Audio Data Transport Stream
  • 1 audio stream
  • Codec: AAC LC (Version 4)
  • Number of channel: 2 channels
  • Sample rate: 48KHz

It wouldn’t load on my Roon setup either. I converted it to FLAC using dBpoweramp and it loaded just fine.

Hi @Chorus_Chuang,

I could also not import it on my end. I have asked the QA team to review this file but I would suggest converting it with dBpoweramp as Scott suggested and then re-importing it for the time being.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris

Thank you for quick response.
Is there any problem found in this file?

Best regards,
Chorus

Hello @Chorus_Chuang,

I spoke to the QA team regarding this file and it looks like it is an m4a container. QA was not able to import this file even in iTunes and it is using AAC which is Apple’s file format. Are you able to play this file anywhere or import it into iTunes?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

I am able to play it with VLC media player (Version 3.0.6 Vetinari (Intel 64bit)) on the Mac Book Pro running Mac OS High Sierra version 10.13.6 (17G65)

Best regards,
Chorus

Hi @Chorus_Chuang,

Thanks for letting me know that. I have passed on this information on to QA and I will let you know as soon as I hear back.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Hey @Chorus_Chuang - I think there’s some confusion here.

AAC audio files generally have the extension .m4a, and these files are fully supported in Roon.

File with the extension .aac are different, and are most commonly used for ADTS streams. Roon will play back ADTS internet radio streams, but we almost never get asked about local files with this extension, and they’re not something Roon supports right now.

You can see more information about common file extensions on the Wikipedia page for AAC. For now, if you want Roon to import this file, I think your best bet is to convert it to a format Roon supports.

Thanks!

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Can’t find and play AAC files

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.