Accessing ARC from the Office

32400 is the Internal port that Plex server listens to on your network. You need to find what the external ports are.

I guess you may be able to use a well-known port <= 1023 externally and forward it to a 1024+ port on the Core

I think the problem is you’d need ARC to use this new port at the other end (which it won’t)

Ah yeah, true.

In my set-up, Plex’s external port is the same as the internal. If I close the external port in my firewall Plex is no longer available from outside my LAN.

Just an update here. I changed my Roon port to the same port that worked with Plex. I also changed Plex’s port to another.

Same results. Roon ARC did not work on the open Plex port but Plex worked fine on an alternate port that I chose.

Next up is to try the common port 8080. We’ll see what happens tomorrow.

Plex higher port number is only for remote communication to the server it’s not used for streaming the media.

1 Like

@CrystalGipsy, for Plex streaming media the http (port 80) or https (port 443) protocol is used. That’s what I am saying all the time. Thank you!!

So does Roon if I check my insights on my unifi network app HTTP over TLS SSL is the biggest protocol used on an any Roon endpoint.

Another update on the ports: I changed my Roon external port to 8080 and it was partially successful. I say only partially because it did actually (finally) connect to the Roon Core but the connection was intermittent. I certainly couldn’t play any songs without significant pauses in each song (rendering them unlistenable). I also tried to download albums to my phone remotely instead to see if that worked better, but it was so slow to download the album (nearly the whole work day), that this was not a viable option. And going forward, it isn’t feasible in all cases since you have to download the entire album and in some cases (mostly classical “complete works” stuff ) I have collections with 1000s of tracks in one “album” so it would be impossible to listen to this offline.

I’m sorry but I do not think this is the case, if it was, then Roon and Plex should behave the same way-- but they don’t. Plex works, Roon does not.

And what server is it connecting to? Some intermediate one? I understood that the machine containing the Core was the server.

Someone can Roon could clear this up pretty quickly methinks.

It connects to Roon not just your server for licensing and other things, the connections are routed via their servers and your core it’s not a direct one to one with your core as Tidal and Qobuz come from their respective streams. There was an arc outage earlier this week that didn’t affect normal Roon just arc. So I imagine it’s this communications that your works network is not allowing.

Fair point. Although I’d be surprised if Roon Labs would design a system to handle all the streaming traffic from all their users using ARC-- seems inefficient and a heavy load on their servers!

It wasn’t earlier this week (i.e. yesterday) I started to have these problems. It was two weeks ago, when I first tried it, nothing worked but, again, Plex was fine. Same machine, same music collection, different streaming services; one works, the other does not.

If my music from the Roon Core is routed through Roon Labs’ servers then presumably Plex also routes traffic through their servers in a similar way. So are Roon Labs’ servers blocked by my IT and Plex’s are not?

I was just using the outage this week as an example of that it does have traffic and use their severs for arc and is not just a direct connection to the core and this is likely what your corporate network is blocking it maybe that Plex and other services are already on a whitelist and Roon isn’t or it’s just doing something it doesn’t like. Plex has to go via plex web to authenticate not sure what else. Arc might be similar in that regard to. I do not think the local file streams go via there servers as they would add a lot of delay. Your not alone here though quite a few have not been able to get it to work on their works Wi-Fi. What ever it is it’s down to their security protocols blocking certain traffic or ports.

I’m not a networking person, but mightnt it tell you something potentially to run a traceroute from work to your [home IP]:ArcPort? Obviously it might be some packet types are getting hung up and not others but there must be some basic tools for helping you see where the issue is?
</blatant talking about stuff I know not much about >

That would be just from the pc you run it on direct to home it won’t show what ARC is doing. It will go via different isp servers to get there as any route would.

It’s a good idea, but you’d need to be able to somehow run it on one’s handheld device and pipe ARC through it. I can’t speak for iOS but I can see how it might be possible on Android (because it is Linux-based). One could use a terminal app combined with busybox and then possibly pipe the traceroute through the ARC when you run it from the terminal.